Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Killed a copperhead

The vast majority of "copperhead" sightings in PA are actually northern water snakes. Also called "king snakes" and milk snakes" by some locals. See link for some pics: http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nersip.htm These look a whole lot like a copperhead at a glance, unless you've actually seen a real copperhead. They are really spectacular looking snakes if you don't mind snakes.

I don't get upset by one mowed down snake, mis-identified or not. The people who go out of their way to kill ever snake they come across are a different story. Just thought I'd add some education to this necro'd thread.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Luzerne County)

When I lived down in Tennessee I used to see them occasionally and I didn't think much of it at the time but two years ago I spotted a small copperhead in a drainage ditch near Cook Forest on the other side of the state. I guess this is a little north for them but not too far by the looks of it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    The vast majority of "copperhead" sightings in PA are actually northern water snakes. Also called "king snakes" and milk snakes" by some locals. See link for some pics: http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/nersip.htm These look a whole lot like a copperhead at a glance, unless you've actually seen a real copperhead. They are really spectacular looking snakes if you don't mind snakes.

I don't get upset by one mowed down snake, mis-identified or not. The people who go out of their way to kill ever snake they come across are a different story. Just thought I'd add some education to this necro'd thread.
    Back in 1971 I had one near my tent at Fort AP Hill, VA. It was curled up and startled me as I crawled out over it and I hit it with a shovel. It was getting ready to give birth and they birth live, no eggs like other snakes. The little ones looked like lizards without legs as the heads were large. I have seen that one (and it's young ones) and two others growing up in Upper Bucks and several years ago in Lousiana. I have a lot of neighbors that tell me they have a Copperhead on their property. Everyone I have checked out over the past 20 years was not a copperhead but what you described. They were thin in body all the way instead of the fat body and short tail of a copperhead, kind of like a c-130. The heads were small and the color was not the true copper color. I know we had a lot in our area years ago, I often wonder if the large black snakes that came into the area did away with them as I have not seen a copperhead in a long time.
    Last edited by chiefdjs; April 27th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123