Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Right hand shooter left eye dominate

Is there any help for this condition? I have no trouble shooting my rifles because I allways close my left eye to see through the scope.but when I shoot my pistols is when the trouble begins,I like to shoot my pistols with both eyes open, I have never been great shooting pistols and I think this is the reason why.Today when I was shooting I forced myself to keep my left eye closed and my shooting improved.Is there anyway I can make my right eye dominate?Also I can in no way shoot left handed. Thanks for the help.
    Steve

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Right hand shooter left eye dominate

For target shooting and practice put an opaque patch on the left lens of your shooting glasses, then shoot with both eyes, all the work will be done by your right eye.

I found this interesting about sight right here on this forum.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/articles-...ing-guide.html
    Post #6

(Berks County)

I can in no way shoot left handed
    I am also Righthanded/left eye dominant, When I do shoot left handed, getting a sight picture is so easy and follow-up shots are much quicker.

I wish it wasn't so damn weird feeling....I mainly shoot right handed though...and like Brick stated...put something (I use tape) on your left lens...this will "make" your right eye take control.

I don't think there is any way to permanantly "correct" this condition, just practice practice and practice.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Northumberland County)

I shoot both eyes open... All you really have to know is which image is the right one... close your weak eye to find out.

I have a much harder time shooting rifles and shotguns, and subsequently shoot them lefthanded as it is the only comfortable way for me.

For pistols all you really have to do is shift how you're holding the gun towards your dominant eye...

(Allegheny County)

I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot shotguns, rifles and pistols with this problem. I've always closed my right eye shooting rifles and pistols when shooting at bulls-eye targets. I keep both eyes open when shooting at close range combat targets (less than 20 feet) but I don't use the sights, I just point. I recently took up trap shooting where the affliction is a real problem. Over the course of 8 month's I went though a whole gambit of devices including translucent dots, Vaseline, and Chap Stick smeared on the dominant lens of my shooting glasses (just enough to block out the front sight of my shotgun). I even purchased special fiber optic sights that only permit the eye behind the stock to see the sight. After all the experimentation and people’s advice, I found I achieved the best results by simply closing my dominant eye.

Good Luck!
    Hawk,
    Toujours pręt

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by FordDieselSteve View Post
    Is there any help for this condition? I have no trouble shooting my rifles because I allways close my left eye to see through the scope.but when I shoot my pistols is when the trouble begins,I like to shoot my pistols with both eyes open, I have never been great shooting pistols and I think this is the reason why.Today when I was shooting I forced myself to keep my left eye closed and my shooting improved.Is there anyway I can make my right eye dominate?Also I can in no way shoot left handed. Thanks for the help.
    Get into your grip and stance, line up your sights with your right eye, close your right eye and then turn your head to the right until you can line up your sights with your left eye. Do NOT tilt your head down, just turn it to the right.

Allot of people who are cross dominant shoot this way. It is very "do-able".

(Allegheny County)

that's the way i have always instinctively shot a handgun.
    works fine

mpi

(York County)

I'm also left eye dominant and right handed. I learned to shoot left handed...and, when a stroke damaged my right side...well, it wasn't too much of a problem to be even more left handed. About the only thing I use my right hand for anymore is write.
    Learning to shoot left handed isn't all that difficult, especially if one is left eye dominant.

(Westmoreland County)

I am right handed and left eye dominate, but I don't notice a problem. I guess I shoot with both eyes open. Pistols are easy because I do notice that I shift my right hand over to align with my left eye, but I still keep both eyes open.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast