Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Thumbs up +1 for courteous, informed Allentown PD

Last evening I stopped at the WaWa just down the street from TrueCrimsons "run in" with the APD at Home Depot last year. Soon as I pulled in I saw the squad car and glanced up to be sure I had a couple flyers. As Ive been in that store on numerous occasions OC I didnt think too much about it, although I had a suspicion that I was going to be asked about it.

Anyway, soon as I got out of my car and started to walk inside the Officer saw me and headed straight for me. Started right out with "I respect what your doing - Ive got no issue with you carrying".... pretty polite chat. Knowing that I can simply state the obvious "am I being detained...." I decided to openly engage in chat with him. he suggested that I might conceal as people wouldnt get nervous, but also ASKED before I did, do you have a license? I told him yes, but was wearing shorts and a T-shirt, didnt feel comfortable concealing (my Springfield's knurled grips tend to chafe) physically, and fully knew the law - He too was well versed. Again, I want to emphasize, only a suggestion, seems they get calls all the time about a couple folks that exercise their rights and have to see who it is instead of solving real crime. He literally said that he wished more folks that KNEW their rights would stand up for them and would like to see more law abiding folks do what some of us do daily. At no point was Keith (the officer) confrontational or demanding - in fact when he asked if I had a license I responded "yes - I drove here, need one for that, correct?" Im not sure that he understood what I meant by that response, but he didnt ask to see either my "license" or License...

Anyway, by this point were both moving to the checkout line and getting a few looks from customers. our discussion continued for a good 15 minutes, and took us to the parking lot in front of the store. Seriously nice guy who was also unaware of PAFOA (and I didnt know if the site was still down either, I would have pulled it up from my car), but did give him a flyer.

Anyway - Ive got a sneaking suspicion Keith passed MPOTEC with flying colors. So before the flames start about talking to the police, I know that I dont HAVE to say anything, I also know youll attract more bees with honey too. While its a judgment call, I think that the police are just like the rest of us - they have a sometimes shitty job to do and occasionally might like to socialize with someone other than law enforcement... and as an OC'r Im in many ways putting myself out there for the inquiry. How we handle ourselves might set their attitude towards their next OC encounter.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: +1 for courteous, informed Allentown PD

I like hearing these outcomes.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(York County)

DELETE THIS POST AND GET A LAWYER!!!!!!!!!

wait... what?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    ...he suggested that I might conceal as people wouldnt get nervous, but also ASKED before I did, do you have a license?
    This is about the only thing that made it less than the bestest most perfect encounter. I OC in that Wawa all the time, often when it is jammed (which is most of the time). No one should mistake me for a cop, although I can see where they might think you are some sort of undercover guy. But good encounter overall, certainly better than Jerry's.

Hey, I still have your spare ears. We need to go use them.

(Clinton County)

Talking Re: +1 for courteous, informed Allentown PD

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    DELETE THIS POST AND GET A LAWYER!!!!!!!!!

wait... what?
    That was funny!!
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Chester County)

Great post. Rep sent for not going into a default a-hole mode upon seeing a LEO. A lot of members here would have given the guy attitude from the get go with "Am I being detained? No? F you, good bye." This is proof that you don't need to be a dick to a cop just because he is a cop. I hope some people will learn from this, but I doubt it.

(Delaware County)

This is exactly what I hope to behave like with my encounters - respectful and polite enough to see what the guy wants, lol.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    Great post. Rep sent for not going into a default a-hole mode upon seeing a LEO. A lot of members here would have given the guy attitude from the get go with "Am I being detained? No? F you, good bye." This is proof that you don't need to be a dick to a cop just because he is a cop. I hope some people will learn from this, but I doubt it.
    I always gauge the situation first, before asserting my rights. The level of respect that the officer shows me will directly determine how I respond. For example (these are hypothetical situations):

Situation 1:
    Cop: Excuse me.
    Me: Yes?
    Cop: What kind of gun are you carrying?
    Me: It's a 1911.
    Cop: Cool, cool. I stopped you because you just got out of a car with it... You got a license?
    Me: Yes, sir, I do, right here.
    Cop: Cool. Thanks, have a nice day.
    Me: Likewise.

Situation 2:
    Cop: Keep your hands where I can see them. *pulls gun from my holster*
    Me: Am I being detained?
    (you know basically how the rest would go; I will comply, but do not consent, etc, etc.)

How the officer presents himself determines how I react.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    I always gauge the situation first, before asserting my rights. The level of respect that the officer shows me will directly determine how I respond. For example (these are hypothetical situations):

Situation 1:
    Cop: What kind of gun are you carrying?
    Me: It's a 1911.
    Cop: Cool, cool. I stopped you because you just got out of a car with it... You got a license?
    Me: Yes, sir, I do, right here.
    Cop: Cool. Thanks, have a nice day.
    Me: Likewise.

Not a lawful demand for your LTCF and no good reason to ask you for it or you to show it. You just got out of your car, why didn't he ask to see your DRIVER's license/registration/insurance too based on that logic?

Mine in red.

OP: I guess good encounter, but there is no room for officer opinion when conducting their job, IMHO. If the officer had enough free time to suggest you cover up, he could've spent his time speaking to bystanders around you to "lighten up" and not be nervous around you instead of oppressing your right to carry. You were treated as the problem, not peoples reactions
    Last edited by BimmerJon; May 4th, 2010 at 08:56 AM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    he suggested that I might conceal as people wouldnt get nervous, but also ASKED before I did, do you have a license? I told him yes, but was wearing shorts and a T-shirt, didnt feel comfortable concealing (my Springfield's knurled grips tend to chafe) physically, and fully knew the law - He too was well versed. Again, I want to emphasize, only a suggestion, seems they get calls all the time about a couple folks that exercise their rights and have to see who it is instead of solving real crime. He literally said that he wished more folks that KNEW their rights would stand up for them and would like to see more law abiding folks do what some of us do daily.
    I'm confused by this conversation. He suggested you conceal to make his job easier and then said he wished more people would OC. Is that correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast