Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: PGC Range

(Bucks County)

Default PGC Range

Has anyone been out to the PGC rifle range in State Game Lands #206??? It's the range off of Route 118 near Sweet Valley. I am wondering what shape it is in for the coming hunting season. Any reports would be welcomed...thanks...Mike45

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: PGC Range

Its been a few weeks since I've been out there, but this range is one of the better kept ranges the PGC. The handgun range is the one that usually gets abused, with fools shooting the 2x4's for fun, leaving their trash, etc.

With hunting season here it will surely get busier, which is why I will always try and go during the week, instead of on the weekend.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the update Steve in Pa, it's on the way to our place upstate and we're glad to hear it's OK. I hear ya on the handgun range...Mike45

(Luzerne County)

Hi. My first post on this forum.
    I live about a mile, as the crow flies, from the PGC range in Sweet Valley. I went by last week - I go by every week - and it was still full of heavy equipment. They do appear to be doing a very serious upgrade. I wonder, though, how soon it will be ready.
    I will be driving by today. If there is any significant change, I will post again.
    Pete

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: PGC Range - Update.

I went by this morning for my weekly visit. There are still two pieces of heavy equipment in the parking lot. It appears, however, that the range is nearing completion (only a month late as of today).
    The configuration of the range has changed. Instead of three ranges ( 50/75, 100, pistol), there are now two. The berm between the 50/75 and 100 yard ranges has been moved and the shorter range eliminated. In its place is a wider main range with firing points and target holders at 50, 75, and 100 yards. There is a larger handicapped parking area which is ready for paving (apparently). Pins for positioning the target holders are in place, benches are not. The berms have been reseeded and covered with straw. The pistol range has benches in place. Parking lot unfinished.
    I'd guess it will be ready by November. Maybe.
    Pete

(Allegheny County)

Are there any places in sweet valley where I can safely shoot out a couple hundred (800) yards? My friends house is up there and we shot out to 100 yards on his property, but that is the only "safe" distance that I feel there is to shoot (no berms beyond that, just woods, and beyond the woods about a mile, a road). It sucks that there are 75 acres and no good clearings to shoot a little longer distance.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    Are there any places in sweet valley where I can safely shoot out a couple hundred (800) yards? My friends house is up there and we shot out to 100 yards on his property, but that is the only "safe" distance that I feel there is to shoot (no berms beyond that, just woods, and beyond the woods about a mile, a road). It sucks that there are 75 acres and no good clearings to shoot a little longer distance.
    No places that I know of, unless you know someone who has a farm. Just lotsa woodland. I can shoot 100 yards at my place but even that is smallbore only and through the trees.
    Pete

(Luzerne County)

I was hoping this range would be finished already.

I wanted to get out and get several hunting guns sighted in for deer season. Actually they are sighted in, I just want to verify.

I was planning on going out tomorrow to the SGL #127 (shudder!!) range, but after hearing about the weather, I think I'll hold off until Thurdsay.

Who knows.........maybe by the the SGL #91 range will be ready!!