Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default M-16 news article

I just seen this and wanted to post the article for all to give thier opinion, which I know will go on and on between the M-16 and the AK but just wanted to see what everyone thinks of this article. I think they need to interview more and do more research. It was to one sided for me.

http://rawstory.com//news/2007/PBS_G...s_in_0924.html

(Erie County)

Default Re: M-16 news article

Interesting video

Full auto fire from the hip while in combat? Never heard that before

Never heard a complaint from friends about jamming, only complaints i've heard is the preference of something bigger than 5.56

Thumbs down Re: M-16 news article

I also noticed they confused the AK-74 with the AK-47. The AK-74 is the 3rd Gen AK. There are 100 million AK-47's (and AKM's plus variants) worldwide.

I wonder where they came up with the 2 to 1 number for full automatic?

(Venango County)

out hits the m-16 2 to 1 on full auto???? I find that hard to believe
    that's what 3 round burst is for anyway.

I have never seen any of our soldier in combat fire full auto from the hip, that's usually in the movies....99.9% of all soldiers I have seen keep their weapons on a tactical sling, no way to fire from the hip at all....

Now, that being said, it probably is time for a new weapon, but the logistics are scary...especially if the ammo and or mags are different. The latest greatest weapon might as well be a baseball bat of it's empty.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Venango County)

hey...I just thought of something.....What are they cleaning/lubing with? Maybe this is part of the problem. I wonder if something like Weapon Shield CLP could help reduce jamming. Someone who knows a soldier might want to ask this question to them. just a thought

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Guys,
    Do you know who this Sullivan guy is?

The 5.56x45mm Ultimax 100 LMG/SAW (Light Machine Gun/Squad Automatic Weapon) was originally designed and developed (along with its 100-shot drum magazine) from scratch in the late 1970's/early 1980's by Jim Sullivan (L. James Sullivan) and his design/development partner Bob Waterfield for then Chartered Industries of Singapore

The Armalite Division of the Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corporation, Costa Mesa, CA was established in 1954 for the sole purpose of developing military firearms using the latest in plastics and non-ferrous materials. It's team of Eugene M. Stoner - key designer, Robert Fremont - prototype manufacturing supervisor, and L. James Sullivan - who oversaw drafting work had been they key developers of the AR-15.

Have any of you ever listened to WHYY (NPR 90.9 FM) out of Philly?
    This report by PBS is:
    A) concocted by the shivering-like-a-chihuahua "America is doomed" crowd and
    B) specifically tailored to appeal to their wealthy milk-toast demographic who wouldn't know which end of a rifle was dangerous and
    C) PBS used someone ready to whore himself out as a 'credible source', in order to hype his product.

When it comes out, start emailing/calling WHYY and complain about PBS' crappy journalism. Tell them you'll NEVER donate again! (not that any of us gave them a dime to start with...)

(Washington County)

They contend that the M-16 is outdated because it was introduced 50 years ago. The 1911 was still good 74 years after it's introduction and it's STILL considered to be a good combat pistol. Age has nothing to do with it.

For every talking head that tells you how bad the M-16 is, you can find plenty of soldiers to disagree with that.

They also make the Ultimax seem like it was recently designed, which isn't accurate. There's no proof that it's a better system other than "the designer says it is."

Beta C-Mags ARE in use by the Army. I spoke with a soldier last week who told me they used them for convoy duty.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

I didnt like how this was set up from the begining seemed way to one sided to get any real facts IMO, but when that guy said you can't use sights, so you fire from the hip full auto i was done... lol give me a break

(Delaware County)

[QUOTE=bloomautomatic;112256]They contend that the M-16 is outdated because it was introduced 50 years ago. The 1911 was still good 74 years after it's introduction and it's STILL considered to be a good combat pistol. Age has nothing to do with it.

Great point!

(Northumberland County)

I have to agree with at least one point... its all political. Look what happened to the XM8 program. From all that I read and viewed, it was a great weapons system. For reasons I cannot entirely remember (something about the company being bought out or moving countries or something like that) it was scraped. Besides that, there was no mention of the new gas piston M16s and M4s - based on the gas piston that began in the SKS at the end of WWII and the AK shortly thereafter. As for m16s hitting less that half of that of an AK, do a youtube search of M16 v. AK. Videos are great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast