Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Transporting rifles in bed of truck legality?

I have one Uncle Mikes Large tactical rifle case which is intended for 1 rifle, but I have been putting my AR and AK in it. I can only zip it up about 75% of the way. The Rem 870 is in a gunsock, and my "SPR" AR broken down into the upper and lower halves without a case.

Ive got a 2010 F150 with an ACCESS Lorado tonneau cover, bed rug, and locking tail gate. My local gun club is about 3 miles away from my home in a rural area.

I want to know if it is legal for me to transport my firearms to and from the shooting range in the manner described above, provided I lock the tailgate. I don't make any other stops.

Can the locked tailgate and "secured" bed satisfy the "zipped" or "cased" legal requirement for transporting a rifle?

If you are a LEO and you came across this situation of a semi zipped rifle case, and another rifle without a case at all, what you you do?

EDITED TO ADD: I do have a valid PA LTCF

Thanks in advance
    Steven
    Last edited by em2b96p; April 29th, 2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added LTCF

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Transporting rifles in bed of truck legality?

there is no zipped or cased law regarding transporting long guns.

it is perfectly legal as long as the guns are unloaded and you do not have any loaded magazines (and possibly loose shotgun shells since your shotgun does not use a magazine, but i don't remember for sure off the top of my head) in the same in the same container as the guns.

just keep the mags and ammo in a separate container and you are fine (or, if a container has more than one compartment, just in a separate compartment).

you don't even have to lock the tonneau cover/tailgate legally...though obviously not locking it would be stupid.

also, you can keep them there all the time if you want (not that i would), you do not have to be on the way to or from the range. you can stop for dinner, to go shopping, whatever.

in reading the PA gun laws, you have to remember that, for the most part, the word "firearm" does not apply to long guns...only to handguns and short-barrelled rifles and shotguns. the restrictions you mention are only applicable to handguns (and SBS/SBRs).

(also, if you have an LTCF, you can carry a loaded handgun or SBS/SBR in a vehicle all the time.)

there is a separate section of the statute that covers transporting long guns in a vehicle. it just says they can't be loaded (even if you have an LTCF)...and defines loaded as you normally would but also as having loaded mags in the same container as the long gun.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; April 29th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
    F*S=k

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    there is a separate section of the statute that covers transporting long guns in a vehicle. it just says they can't be loaded (even if you have an LTCF)...and defines loaded as you normally would but also as having loaded mags in the same container as the long gun.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6106.1: Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms
    (a) General rule.-- Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    (b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.
    You're talking about §6106.1, right? There are no definitions in that statute, so I assume you mean the definition of "loaded" from §6102, right?

§6102....
    "Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    It defines when a "firearm" is "loaded", but it doesn't say anything about when a "weapon other than a firearm" is "loaded".

I think GL pointed this out in the past.
    Last edited by anonymouse; April 29th, 2010 at 12:19 PM.

(Allegheny County)

okaaaaaayyyy...

so what definition of "loaded" do you think the courts are gonna use?
    F*S=k

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    okaaaaaayyyy...

so what definition of "loaded" do you think the courts are gonna use?
    No freaking idea. Probably the one in §6102. I was just pointing out that there isn't a definition for loaded within §6106.1

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    No freaking idea. Probably the one in §6102. I was just pointing out that there isn't a definition for loaded within §6106.1
    yeah. i do concede your point.
    F*S=k

I transport long guns in my truck bed in cases all the time. As long as they are unloaded and the ammo is separated (I usually just keep the ammo with my shooting bag in the cab with me) you won't have any trouble.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Centre County)

As long as the guns are not loaded and the ammo is separate from the gun (a different bag or in a pocket of the case) you can transport them in the cab of the truck. You just can't transport a loaded long arm in the cab. Of course with a LTCF you can carry a loaded handgun in the cab, just not a loaded long arm (that falls under the GC laws).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Thumbs up Re: Transporting rifles in bed of truck legality?

Great! Thanks littleredtoyota, anonymouse, derek, and xringshooter for the help.

If I were to get a case it would be the 5.11 double rifle case for $150. I rather spend that 150 on ammo. I can care less about scratches on my weapons.

I will transport rifles in the bed, and keep the ammo in the cab.
    Last edited by em2b96p; April 29th, 2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added member names

(Centre County)

CAN WE ALL AGREE GUN LAWS ARE OUT OF CONTROL?
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast