Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default PA law regarding training minors in Firearms???

Can someone tell me what the PA law is with regard to training minors in Pistol and Rifle. The minors would be trained by an NRA Certified Instructor on private property.

I know that PA Law allows Minors as young a 7 to hunt under adult supervision. I would assume that they are allowed to target shoot on a range. Is the law different with regard to pistol?

Some links to an official source would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PA law regarding training minors in Firearms???

The only age requirement is that those under 18yo with "firearms"(handgun, SBS, SBR) have proper supervision.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1: Possession of firearm by minor
    (a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.
    (b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:
    (1) who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or
    (2) who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).
    (c) Responsibility of adult.--Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.
    (d) Forfeiture.--Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

The reference library should be your friend:
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...earm-by-minor/

18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1: Possession of firearm by minor
    (a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.
    (b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:
    (1) who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or
    (2) who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).
    (c) Responsibility of adult.--Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.
    (d) Forfeiture.--Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner.
    ETA~ Knight was faster on the button

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

Thanks everyone. The information is very helpful. I see that there is no distinction between pistol, rifle, smokeless or black powder.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    Thanks everyone. The information is very helpful. I see that there is no distinction between pistol, rifle, smokeless or black powder.
    For this portion of the law "FIREARM" does not include normal long guns.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
    For this portion of the law "FIREARM" does not include normal long guns.
    It is not clear to me what you mean. Please explain further.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    It is not clear to me what you mean. Please explain further.
    Under PA law in the UFA "firearm" means by default only a handgun, SBS, and SBR. If a subsection requires "firearm" to include long guns it will have a specific definition for that section of law, or refer to it elsewhere. Without that extra specific definition "firearm" is defined in the quote down below.

Long guns are treated pretty much like golf clubs in PA, except to prohibited persons or off-limits places. "Firearms" (handguns, SBS, SBR) are the controlled and regulated guns mostly because of their ease of concealment.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6102: Definitions
    Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Under PA law in the UFA "firearm" means by default only a handgun, SBS, and SBR. If a subsection requires "firearm" to include long guns it will have a specific definition for that section of law, or refer to it elsewhere. Without that extra specific definition "firearm" is defined in the quote down below.

Long guns are treated pretty much like golf clubs in PA, except to prohibited persons or off-limits places. "Firearms" (handguns, SBS, SBR) are the controlled and regulated guns mostly because of their ease of concealment.
    I see. Initially upon reading the statement I thought it meant that I could train a minor in Pistol but not Rifle... which made no sense. I like you comparison of Long guns to golf clubs, lol.

(Indiana County)

If the "possession" for training purposes isn't prohibited (such as a 12-year-old convicted felon), then, to me, it looks like the law is silent on such training. Required? No. Smart? Definitely.