Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default kimber or dan wesson?

What do you think is better, a kimber eclipse II in 10mm, or a dan wesson pointman 7 in 10mm? $830 for the dan wesson, $850 for the kimber...

(Bedford County)

Default Re: kimber or dan wesson?

Is it an Eclipse II Target? Does it have the adjustable rear sight like the Pointman?
    I'm not sure what model you are looking at, but a 10mm Kimber under $900 is a great deal. The Pointman can be had for $775 plus transfer fees.

I shot may Kimbers and a few Pointman Sevens' but they were all in .45acp.

Both are good quality, but I think I would go with the Dan Wesson. Quality for the price, I think its a better deal.

(Bedford County)

Let me also say that I'm a Colt man, and I really love a Colt 1911. Just when I thought Colt had their heads out of their ____ , I see quality issues seem to be getting worse again.

IMHO The Dan Wesson Pointman and the STI Trojan are two of the best "production guns" on the market. Both are amazing shooters for the cash.

I believe its this kimber http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=80905980.. it has that grayish black finish and all that... and 5in barrel

(Bedford County)

Fixed rear sight. For a defense gun, I'd rather have the fixed sight.

You can get that gun for $850? I seldom see those guns sell for much under $1000.

i'm about 90% sure its that one.. i know it was 10mm and that finish.... I saw it about 2wks ago and its been burning a hole in my pocket... but that pointman is a nice little pistol too, but i'd have to order that online noone around me carries them from what i've found, and that means no fondling before hand....

sort of seems that kimber is geared towards carry and police work, and i'm looking more for target use so adjustable sights would probably suit me better

(Chester County)

It has been my experience that Dan Wesson products are superior to Kimber. I've owned and shot more than a few bad Kimbers, but I've never shot (or even heard of) a Dan Wesson that didn't work perfectly. CZ has really stepped up and produced a superior product.

I know a lot of folks who love Kimber, and have had nothing but good experiences, and maybe I'm just getting unlucky and getting the bad ones.

Thing is, though, if a gun is selling for $1000, there ought not be such a thing as a "bad" gun. I feel the same way about Colt. Much as I love the name, I'm not going to spend my money on a gun that won't work perfectly out of the box, every time.

For what it's worth in terms of 1911s, I'm a huge fan of Nighthawk and Smith & Wesson.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Centre County)

I don't know if it's a factor, but I think the Dan Wesson is one of the best looking handguns around.

(Lycoming County)

I would take the Dan Wesson, hands down. Especially if you can find one from the Bob Serva era (pre-CZ). Kimber uses MIM parts everywhere they can get away with it, yes, even the sear.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    It has been my experience that Dan Wesson products are superior to Kimber. I've owned and shot more than a few bad Kimbers, but I've never shot (or even heard of) a Dan Wesson that didn't work perfectly. CZ has really stepped up and produced a superior product.

I know a lot of folks who love Kimber, and have had nothing but good experiences, and maybe I'm just getting unlucky and getting the bad ones.

Thing is, though, if a gun is selling for $1000, there ought not be such a thing as a "bad" gun. I feel the same way about Colt. Much as I love the name, I'm not going to spend my money on a gun that won't work perfectly out of the box, every time.

For what it's worth in terms of 1911s, I'm a huge fan of Nighthawk and Smith & Wesson.
    This is almost comical.

Nobody in my circle of shooters will touch a Dan Wesson. Kimber's do seem to have a higher incident rate of problems for their price point. I own a warrior but haven't shot it yet.

I saw two nighthawks at our low light handgun class in June and I was extremely underwhelmed.

Both S&W and Kimber have the worst versions of a firing pin safety.

This reaffirms in my mind that the collective experiences (including mine) of message board members is statistically insignificant in terms of the quality and reliability of a given brand and model. No offense intended toward anyone replying to this thread, just my observation.

I guess we should all resign ourselves to the fact that no matter what we choose, it "may" have issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast