Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AK Mags?

(Washington County)

Default Re: AK Mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    Tapco, Surefire and whatever other domestic AK mags might function fine but they will break if dropped with a load in them.

Arsenal used to have a good video of all the big name domestic mags failing different 'drop tests', often spectacularly. (The video they have up now only shows the aftermarket bulgarian mags, presumably the other US manufacturers were not happy about seeing their names in Arsenals video)

I'd rather save money and buy steel or spend more for Circle 10s, but that's just me.
    This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq25sisQyDg

Looks like Tapco and the Bulgarian ones fare just as well, only passing 1 test. I would be curious how 20 rounders hold up with less weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

Looks like Tapco and the Bulgarian ones fare just as well, only passing 1 test. I would be curious how 20 rounders hold up with less weight.
    WOW after watching that I'm not buying that crap!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    WOW after watching that I'm not buying that crap!
    How often do you toss your rifle around, or expect to? No harm in buying for the range and for general use.

How often do you toss your rifle around, or expect to? No harm in buying for the range and for general use.
    No doubt but why buy something that has that kind of potential. Even if I dropped it on accident I don't want to have that kind of result.

I just wanted to point out that those are not the Bulgy Circle 10 waffle mags, which should have no problems passing all of those tests.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    No doubt but why buy something that has that kind of potential. Even if I dropped it on accident I don't want to have that kind of result.
    Dropped on accident from that height onto steel? Do you have any kind of optics on any of your rifles? Any plastic at all on any of them? Any component has a possibility of failure, its all in how you treat it, thats all.

All I can see from that video is there is a possibility of this happening. I find it interesting on the one drop test they have to play footage of another test where it failed, to give the impression that it will fail on all tests.

Plus, they are trying to sell their product. I would rather see an independant source.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm sure that Arsenal Las Vegas (who made the video) is biased towards the products of its parent corp, Arsenal Bulgaria. Even so, the fact remains that Arsenal Bulgaria makes a tough, steel reinforced, polymer mag for military use, while the domestic producers make a mag that looks similar but doesn't have same innards.

I hate to sound like a shill but there is simply no comparison between a Thermold or Surefire, etc. and a real surplus mag, polymer or steel.
    Last edited by Willie D; April 27th, 2010 at 11:12 PM.

(Monroe County)

It depends on what the gun will be used for, if its a range/plinking gun anything will work, if its a survival rifle stick with with Milsurp metal mags, ironically Bulgarian Metal mags are among the best AK mags ever made , perhaps tied with the EG mags, the Chinese are the lightest if weight is an issue, the russian slabsides are the strongest but the heaviest, i have them all.

TapCo seem to have solved the flimsy polymer mag issue, thay are good sturdy polymer mags.

Nyman

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cope's Dist. View Post
    If you don't find what you're looking for, I just posted a direct link to AK Mags in the Commercial Sales Section that you may find interesting.
    +1

Copes always has some kind of deal going. Plus, they are great company.

That said, I typically just buy surplus steel mags. They are cheap and you beat someone over the head with them and still use them in your gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Berks County)

Can someone please post a link to a website that sells surplus Bulgarian steel magazines? Preferably for the AK-74!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast