Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Snubbie revolvers

On another thread there was mention of velocity from short barrel revolvers. I did not want to hijack another thread...so......

If anybody has them I would be interested in seeing crono figures from snubbies in both .357mag & .38special.

I recently bought a used but in good shape,Ruger sp101 with a 3"barrel & I sometimes carry it. After shooting it,I like it so much,I'm thinking about getting another one with the shorter tube. I have not fired .38 in it,just .357mag & it handles fine. It's a little snotty when it goes off but no big deal.

I've carried it in a fanny pack & just got a Smartcarry. I'll be trying out the Smartcarry today.

If any of you pack a snubbie please chime in. Tell us what you carry & how you carry it.

When it comes to ccw almost all the discussion is about autos as they are the most popular (understandable as to why) to carry. Please save the flames....I'm not bashing auto pistols. I own,in addition to other pistols, & carry a Glock 20 & will soon get a G23 (whose platform,19,23,32.. just may be the perfect carry piece.)

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Snubbie revolvers

I'm a revolver guy by choice, but I do carry both.

I never bothered to chrono my CCW pieces, whether they are snub or 8" barreled cannons. I just know that any slug coming out the barrel is capable of killing. However, with knowledge that shorter barrel=less velocity=less energy, I tend to choose bigger and heavier platforms to carry. Example: 2" snub, I'd choose a 750fps 250gr 45LC over a 750fps 158gr 38spl.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

I own a Rossi in .38 actualy bought it for the wife to have at home;I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it...ok maybe if it was 2ft away lol.Must say the my wife is not anti but just doesn't feel comfortable with them but bought it for the simplicity.She will practice but doesn't feel comfortable

(Allegheny County)

I own a sp101 2" and use it as my carry piece. Most of the comparisons I have seen are between normal load .357 and very hot 9mm (+p+ whatever that is).

This site lists barrel length and velocity for their ammo:
    http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#357

This is a good comparison for .38 vs .357:
    http://www.snubnose.info/docs/38-snub_vs_357-snub.htm

This gives some more snubby velocity data:
    http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/jframe.html

Personally, I find the sp101 a little on the heavy side but can still pocket carry. I shoot some pretty hot loads and can't imagine using anything lighter and still using my hand later I also prefer the 158 grain loads, just as a personal choice, as they seem to handle better for me from the snub. Over all if you can control it, the .357 will give you quite a bit more power over the .38 special.

(Northampton County)

WhiteWolf....Thanks for the reply. Those links are great....lots of good info. I think I'm going to try some of the Buffalobore ammo. They have some interesting stuff in 10mm & .45 in addition to .38/.357. Out comes the credit card.

I guess the .357 still hits hard out of a short tube & does even better with hotter loads.
    The shorter snout sp 101 I think is 2 1/4". So I'm guessing you can still get high 1200s fps with the 158 grainer as the 3" gave high 1300s. I'm also guessing that there would be some variance between different guns because of differences in cylinder gap. The .357's heavier bullets would give it an advantage over 9mm in terms of penetration. I might try a box of the 170gr. I tend to lean toward heavier bullet weights in any givin caliber.

The 9mm naturally would have the advantage in capacity.

In a small carry piece I think I would rather 5 .357s than 7 .380s.

As for 9mm...shooting +P+ out of a small pistol will also elevate recoil as it would with a small revolver.

AS far as the sp101 goes.... I think it's a well built gun at a moderate price. Maybe I'm nuts..but when shooting hot loads,I feel better doing so out of a Ruger.
    Last edited by reverserboy; September 24th, 2007 at 11:47 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Something else I keep seeing is how bad the "flash and bang" of a 357 snub is. I've always looked at that as a benifit. IMHO the flame and noise of this kind of gun would cause a little more fear than the pop pop of some other weapons.

I'm also with you on capacity. I would rather a sure 5 shots. Now if I was going to Iraq (or maybe Philly) that would change my mind on that

(Northampton County)

Something else I keep seeing is how bad the "flash and bang" of a 357 snub is.
    Interesting point....Saturday at dusk I fired my sp. The flash was less than I had expected. This would probably vary with ammo.

I'm also with you on capacity. I would rather a sure 5 shots. Now if I was going to Iraq (or maybe Philly) that would change my mind on that
    In either of those places I think I would rather my G20 & a spare mag. ......if not a rifle.

(Northampton County)

This afternoon I just picked up a second sp101. Now I have both barrel lenghts. I bought both of them from Boyer Hardware in Slatington. I got them used for 300$ each.

They will both fit in my Smartcarry, although the shorter snout is easier to pack. That 13/16" of barrel makes a difference when it's in your crotch.
    The holster does however work well. So far I'm happy with it. I'll have to pratice drawing from it.

I also want to get a smaller fannypack....one that doesn't broadcast "gun". I know I don't have to worry about being made....but there are times when I would rather be extra discrete.

(Pike County)

Howdy, I have a S&W 442. When I carry this I normally carry it in an old Bachmeimer holster that I picked up at a show. It works well for strong side or crossdraw. I tend to use it crossdraw when I am going to be driving for a long period of time, more accessable for me. I also have a Uncle Mikes pouch for it. I can not remember the name of it, but it goes on your belt like some of the PDA pouches, and does not have a built in belt like a fanny pack. You can put it at whatever position you like. It has a seperate section in the back for the gun, and the front can be used for cell phone, cigs, lighter or whatever. As the 442 has no external hammer, it also slips in a pocket well, and nothing to snag on draw. Good luck with the Rugers, good beefy snubs, should take a lickin' and keep on ticken!

(Allegheny County)

If you are looking for a fanny pack that doesn't scream gun, check out this one:
    http://store.thewilderness.com/index...db0a191e1d4d76

I've worn it quite a bit and all anyone ever asked me is: "got a spare socket wrench in there?" I just laugh and say its my "pocket stuff"

It seems like since its flat and just looks like a pouch people don't even think about it. Its also pretty small, esp the one for the snubbys.