Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What are the repercussions of drawing?

There is a lot of discussion over whether one would, in a given scenario, not necessarily fire their gun, but even simply draw it.

If you did this in public unnecessarily, I guess you'd be charged with assault or endangerment.

But, given that you feel you're justified to draw, what's going to happen if it ends there? Was that something that should be reported to police? Do you just walk away from it? Do you call 911 right after the immediate threat is over and tell them you drew your gun?
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

Default Re: What are the repercussions of drawing?

If I'm drawing a pistol, it's because a crime is being committed or is about to be committed - namely, someone's in serious physical danger. Why wouldn't I report a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    Do you call 911 right after the immediate threat is over and tell them you drew your gun?
    No, I call 911 and report the crime and a description of the person. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

(Westmoreland County)

That is a really good question... I too would like to know what would happen if you drew your weapon during a life threatening situation that ended while in public view?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    If I'm drawing a pistol, it's because a crime is being committed or is about to be committed - namely, someone's in serious physical danger. Why wouldn't I report a crime?

No, I call 911 and report the crime and a description of the person. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
    Makes sense but is there a possiblity of action being taken on you because someone makes a "MWG" call?

Quote Originally Posted by soulsyfn View Post
    Makes sense but is there a possiblity of action being taken on you because someone makes a "MWG" call?
    There's always a possibility of pretty much anything. Doesn't make much sense to carry a gun if your primary concern is being questioned by the police after an incident in which you draw a pistol in defense of life.

(Philadelphia County)

what if.. what if... what if....

you shouldn't draw unless you are already justified to shoot in self-defense.

Your gun is not a toy, nor an extension of your ego. If the gun comes out of the holster, somebody is getting shot; unless somebody decides at that moment that they don't want to get shot, and end doing whatever would be justifying me to draw, point, and click, in the first place.

Good question though.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Doesn't make much sense to carry a gun if your primary concern is being questioned by the police after an incident in which you draw a pistol in defense of life.
    My primary concern is not going to jail or being charged with a felony, therefor losing my gun rights.

Depending on the situation, there may be zero benefit to talking with the police. And there is ALWAYS the chance that the police will "investigate" and/or charge you.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    My primary concern is not going to jail or being charged with a felony, therefor losing my gun rights.
    That's where we differ. My primary concern is being alive.

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Depending on the situation, there may be zero benefit to talking with the police. And there is ALWAYS the chance that the police will "investigate" and/or charge you.
    I agree. That's why I said "being questioned" by the police, not "answering the police's questions" or "talking to the police."

(Montgomery County)

That's where we differ. My primary concern is being alive.
    No, we don't differ. My point was after the incident. Of course staying alive is THE primary concern.
    But regarding the OP, if I've drawn but not had to fire, my primary concen is going home without being investigated/charged.

I agree. That's why I said "being questioned" by the police, not "answering the police's questions" or "talking to the police."
    Just because you don't talk to the police doesn't mean witness' won't. Doesn't mean they won't charge you with something.
    ETA: In fact, if they start questioning you, and you choose not to answer, I bet things will go downhill fast for you. Since of course you're the MWAG who's not talking.
    Last edited by tlgpa; April 23rd, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Montgomery County)

There is no law that says you have to call 911. In fact, an assertion of your 5th amendment rights mean that you do not have to call 911. A prudent and intelligent thing to do is to leave the area as quickly as possible. It really is that simple.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast