Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Which gun club?

Hybrid View

(Lehigh County)

Default Which gun club?

I need to join a club soon!! it's been 1year 4months since I was shooting last!!

I been looking at Guthsville and Ontelaunee gun clubs. Both are about the same distance from me. They both seem to have the same features. Is there one that is a little better then the other?

thanks

mel

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Which gun club?

I can only tell you from what I have heard. Ont. has alot of block shoot's and such witch sometimes makes it difficult to shoot. If your around my area you should look into palmerton gun club. they also have a 300 yard range with pistol and rifle steel silhouette shooting

The only problem with Ontelaunee is that almost every weekend in the Spring and summer has a major event. This is a good thing if you like to attend these events. Not a good thing if you just want to use the range.

Events I'm talking about are stuff like IDPA, ICORE, 3D archery shoots, etc.

They typically start to set up on Saturday at around noon. So the ranges all close down while they set up and they stay closed until the event is over.

Some competitions let folks onto the unused ranges right after competition ends. For example, IDPA typically doesn't use the 100 and 200/300 yard ranges so those sometimes open up right after an IDPA competition while they are still packing things away. I was told you can't use the ranges during competition because it interferes with timers. Sometimes they don't let folks onto the ranges at all until everything is taken down. From what I've seen, most times the competitions are over not long after noon on Sunday. They typically don't finish taking stuff down and packing things away until 3PM.

There's typically are no limitations during the week however. I know the pistol team meets on Thursday, but I haven't seen them usurp the ranges; they're typically indoors or in the special ranges set up just for them.

It's a great club though. At $20 a year, you can't really lose.

(Lehigh County)

Thumbs up Re: Which gun club?

i just joined Guthsville, been there a few times. the guys there are very helpful. here is a link to the calendar so you can see when the range is being used for events:

http://www.guthsville.com/calendar.htm

it's only 4 minutes for me, so if i make a change, i can run up after work and test it.

Oh I nearly forgot, one great thing about Ontelaunee are the 200 and 300 yard rifle ranges. I haven't found many clubs which have ranges longer than 100 yards.

Next time I take a trip up there, I'll be testing my skills with one of my Mosins at 200 yards.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by scott_hess556 View Post
    I can only tell you from what I have heard. Ont. has alot of block shoot's and such witch sometimes makes it difficult to shoot. If your around my area you should look into palmerton gun club. they also have a 300 yard range with pistol and rifle steel silhouette shooting
    I need to look into Palmerton gun club. I'm in Walnutport and go to Tri-boro now but I'd like to find somewhere new.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.JFK

(Delaware County)

I belong to both. For less than $50.00 year for both of them, why not?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ted murphy View Post
    I belong to both. For less than $50.00 year for both of them, why not?
    is it true that palmerton is adding a 500 yard range?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by scott_hess556 View Post
    is it true that palmerton is adding a 500 yard range?
    I'd like to know about that.