Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bolt handle won't rotate down?

Remington 660 6mm...the bolt handle doesn't rotate down all the way...it sticks out to the side instead of resting down when locked in place. Something get assembled wrong, I just inherited this gun.

Thanks.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Default Re: Bolt handle won't rotate down?

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Remington 660 6mm...the bolt handle doesn't rotate down all the way...it sticks out to the side instead of resting down when locked in place. Something get assembled wrong, I just inherited this gun.

Thanks.
    Does the bolt go all the way into battery? As in, will it go all the way foward to where the bolt lugs are contacting? Have you inspected the chamber to make sure that nothing is in it? Are you able to rotate the bolt handle down at all?

You mention "locked in place", when the bolt handle is up, it's NOT "locked in place," is that correct? With the information provided, that's kind of what I'm getting so far. I'm not super familiar with the 600,660, etc, but from what I've heard, the action is very similar to the Remington Model 7. It sounds like there is a problem with the cocking piece, firing pin, or something in that hold assembly. When you lift the bolt handle, can you see the cocking piece reset and kick out? That's the first thing that I'm thinking of to look at in the problem, is something related to the cocking piece and/or firing pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Does the bolt go all the way into battery? As in, will it go all the way foward to where the bolt lugs are contacting?
    I believe so.

Have you inspected the chamber to make sure that nothing is in it? Are you able to rotate the bolt handle down at all?
    Chamber looks clear. It rotates from about 1 O'clock to 3:30 but not down to 5.

You mention "locked in place", when the bolt handle is up, it's NOT "locked in place," is that correct?
    It is not all the way up. As I said, it rotates and locks but it doesn't rotate all the way.

When you lift the bolt handle, can you see the cocking piece reset and kick out?
    Yes.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Ok then, looks like one of the screws for the scope platform was too long. Obstruction to rotation.

I thought I was going absolutely nuts...there just aren't that many parts to go wrong!

Thanks. Gotta spread it.
    Last edited by emsjeep; April 22nd, 2010 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Ok then, looks like one of the screws for the scope platform was too long. Obstruction to rotation.

I thought I was going absolutely nuts...there just aren't that many parts to go wrong!

Thanks. Gotta spread it.
    I'm glad you noticed that, it was the next set of questions I was fixing to ask, after you said the cocking piece was kicking out. nope, you're right, there aren't too many parts that can go wrong on this. Glad you got it figured out. No worries about the rep, just glad you got it all fixed. Take care, and let us know how she shoots, I bet it's pretty dang good.

I'm glad you noticed that, it was the next set of questions I was fixing to ask, after you said the cocking piece was kicking out. nope, you're right, there aren't too many parts that can go wrong on this. Glad you got it figured out. No worries about the rep, just glad you got it all fixed. Take care, and let us know how she shoots, I bet it's pretty dang good.
    Supposedly they only made the 660 in 6mm for a couple of years. I don't know how or why Grandpa picked one up but if I can track down some ammo we'll see how it does.

(Lawrence County)

The 6mm was Remington's answer to the .243 Winchester... It actually started out as the .244 Rem, but they had some twist rate problems which lead to it being labeled inaccurate over 90 grains, so they fixed the twist rates and called it the 6mm Rem... Same exact bullet and case, just a new name. It can do everything a .243 Win can do (which is a lot) and do it just a hair better... I've seen 6mm ammo at my local Wal-Mart. I am providing you with a link below... Learn the ways of 6mm cartridges, you won't be sorry... lol
    www.6mmbr.com

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...