Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: automatic confiscation, $1500 required to reclaim your firearms!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    When I talk to an officer in a traffic stop, I talk to him as if I am already in a courtroom in front of a judge, lawyers and jury. I would not tell him anything I would not tell the court. It is a mistake to think that if you admit to doing something that is "just a little illegal" the officer will be cool and let you go. NO WAY. The officer is not your friend... even when he is smooth talking you like he is your friend. He scores point by giving tickets and making arrests... not making friends.
    Nice. REP sent!

Quote Originally Posted by BanginBonnie2 View Post
    So, in order to avoid .. " confiscate it " and / or if I'm not overly concerned about .. " for officer safety " .. the alternative would be ?
    I don't recommend lying to cops, but you don't have to volunteer anything, and you aren't obliged to answer any question he can think of. But being evasive will cause troubles, too. There's no perfect solution for you.

The REAL solution is for cops to respect the laws, and not feel entitled to seize guns just because they're guns. They have no legal right to take your gun, go back to the cruiser and run the serial number; that has nothing to do with "officer safety". Neither does disarming every person who admits to having a gun in the vehicle. The cop has a gun, why am I safe during this encounter if he has a gun, but he's not safe if I do? Is the theory that all criminals are drawn from the non-cop population? Or that most non-cops are criminals?

Some black kids will try to mug me. But if I treat every black kid like a mugger, will that go over as well as these cops treating every motorist like a cop-killer?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Venango County)

Assuming its a normal traffic stop... and you have a legal firearm in the trunk, but don't want to be hassled with additional questions and giving explanations... If asked if I have any firearms in the car the answer would be "no". Officer gives the traffic ticket and goes away. If you give him any answer other then "no", you are putting him in an uncomfortable position of having to "think" what to say or do next. Making him have to Think is Bad. You want the stop to be as routine as possible for him.
    Please, please, do not give advice to lie to an LEO. That only causes trouble. A better answer is "There is nothing ilegal in the vehicle officer." I just don't want to see a new member post that he is in a world of trouble because you recomended lieing to a cop.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    Not true.

Please read:
    §6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.—
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.—The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.

Aslong as the gun and ammo are in separate containers and the gun is unloaded, the container holding the gun could be carried in the drivers lap.
    I stand corrected, thanks for correcting me

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Please, please, do not give advice to lie to an LEO. That only causes trouble. A better answer is "There is nothing ilegal in the vehicle officer." I just don't want to see a new member post that he is in a world of trouble because you recomended lieing to a cop.
    That is why I switched to the tense to what "I" would do

If asked if I have any firearms in the car the answer would be "no".
    In most cases I have read, or seen on real cop shows, if you are evasive, they only gets you more attention. That is when he calls for back up and ask you to exit the vehicle.

Admitting to doing something "a little illegal" is admitting to doing something illegal that will be used against you. You may also be giving him probable cause to make a legal search.

If I say "no" there is a high degree of chance that the matter will go no further. If it does, then it is up to a my lawyer to explain exactly what I answered "no" to. "ohh, I though if you meant I had a weapon on my person" or "in the cabin of the car". If it goes to the point that he asks you to exit the vehicle, don't expect that there is anything you can say go get you out of going to jail if that is where he wants you to go. Shut your mouth and let your lawyer do the talking to get you out.

Cops use dirty tricks that they have been trained to use for the purpose of gaining probable cause. They can make a perfectly innocent person seem guilty of something, and it is usually based on you giving too much info.

I am not trying to help any criminals here. I am talking about a strict case where you have a legal firearm locked up in your trunk and unloaded. If you say to the officer that you do have a legal weapon in the car, he probably has a right now to have you show it to him and prove that it is unloaded. He might notice the blood stains from your last hunting trip. Good luck explaining that without stuttering.

Note to Mod: If you feel that I have gone over the line, please delete my posts.
    Last edited by tsafa; April 22nd, 2010 at 09:10 PM.

I know that here in Nevada that if stopped to keep hands visible on the steering wheel and mention to the LEO that I have a CCW (LTCF) and I am carrying, mention the location of the gun on my being and tell the LEO that I am waiting for his/her instructions. Is that how you do it in PA??

(Westmoreland County)

That is why I switched to the tense to what "I" would do

In most cases I have read, or seen on real cop shows, if you are evasive, they only gets you more attention. That is when he calls for back up and ask you to exit the vehicle.

Admitting to doing something "a little illegal" is admitting to doing something illegal that will be used against you. You may also be giving him probable cause to make a legal search.

If I say "no" there is a high degree of chance that the matter will go no further. If it does, then it is up to a my lawyer to explain exactly what I answered "no" to. "ohh, I though if you meant I had a weapon on my person" or "in the cabin of the car". If it goes to the point that he asks you to exit the vehicle, don't expect that there is anything you can say go get you out of going to jail if that is where he wants you to go. Shut your mouth and let your lawyer do the talking to get you out.

Cops use dirty tricks that they have been trained to use for the purpose of gaining probable cause. They can make a perfectly innocent person seem guilty of something, and it is usually based on you giving too much info.

I am not trying to help any criminals here. I am talking about a strict case where you have a legal firearm locked up in your trunk and unloaded. If you say to the officer that you do have a legal weapon in the car, he probably has a right now to have you show it to him and prove that it is unloaded. He might notice the blood stains from your last hunting trip. Good luck explaining that without stuttering.

Note to Mod: If you feel that I have gone over the line, please delete my posts.
    What are the dirty tricks?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siguser View Post
    I know that here in Nevada that if stopped to keep hands visible on the steering wheel and mention to the LEO that I have a CCW (LTCF) and I am carrying, mention the location of the gun on my being and tell the LEO that I am waiting for his/her instructions. Is that how you do it in PA??
    Their is no law in PA stating one must inform an officer that one has a gun. During a traffic stop, or otherwise.

It is up to you.

Are you sure it's safe to move to Pa?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Siguser View Post
    Are you sure it's safe to move to Pa?? LOL
    nope, not at all

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast