Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default what is the solution to this problem?

I know someone who's father carried into a courthouse during a custody hearing a while back. He lost his right to carry. Now he has a girlfriend who buys guns for him and he open and conceal carries despite losing his right. This person and their mother have called the cops and they say they are unable to do anything unless he gets caught doing something else due to unlawful search and seizure. He still gets firearms and carries despite being convicted and spend a year and a half in prison.

This to me reinforces the idea that the Lost and Stolen law will do nothing. None of his guns have been used in a crime and even if the law was passed because his girlfriend wouldn't report it anyway the situation would be no different than now.

My question to everyone here would be what is the way to get this guy off the street? He carries like any of us but he is far from law abiding and is a menace. What solution under the law is there? The police are unable to get him and he is breaking the law brazenly.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: what is the solution to this problem?

Why is he a menace? I missed that part.

(Clinton County)

He sat outside the courtroom cleaning his fingernail with a bowie knife. When they searched him he another knife of the same size, a flare gun with 2 spare cartridges, and a loaded pistol. Does that help?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    He sat outside the courtroom cleaning his fingernail with a bowie knife. When they searched him he another knife of the same size, a flare gun with 2 spare cartridges, and a loaded pistol. Does that help?
    I certainly don't know the situation like you do. But, for me, no that doesn't help.

I tend to mind my own business unless somebody is threatening or harming others. Or messing with my lawn. Just because somebody broke a law in the past does not automatically make them a menace to me. If they carry, that's a problem for the cops. I don't think those laws and restrictions are constitutional. On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't be hanging out with him due to the legal situation.

(Franklin County)

That sure doesn't say much for the security screening process wherever he was.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    That sure doesn't say much for the security screening process wherever he was.
    It was a while back before that stuff was put in place. He has avoided getting involved with the law since then but he still open carries as a felon. He never actually harmed anyone but he was known for intimidating business owners that asked him to leave with his gun and arguing with them when they asked him to leave.

(Bucks County)

MYOB !

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Chester County)

Guess I'm confused. Was he convicted of violating 18 Pa CSA 913 (firearm in courthouse) or are there other convictions you haven't mentioned? If not then:

1. He's not a 'felon' for a 913;
    2. unless he intended to commit a crime with the firearm, its an M3;
    3. M3 has a max term of 1 year (how'd he get 1.5 yr?);
    4. he's not a prohibited person for an M3 so why can't he buy his own guns?;
    5. why can he legally OC?.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

It was a while back before that stuff was put in place. He has avoided getting involved with the law since then but he still open carries as a felon. He never actually harmed anyone but he was known for intimidating business owners that asked him to leave with his gun and arguing with them when they asked him to leave.
    Let it run its course, if hes out causing problems its only a matter of time before he gets himself into trouble.

(Clinton County)

The reason I'm asking is because this was brought to me by this person and I had no real answer for them on how to prevent someone like that from carrying a firearm or how the law could do anything about it. They expressed concern about him having a gun due to his record and lack of sound judgment.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast