Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Need Sako extractor part rem700

I have a Remington M700 that had the Sako extractor mod done a some before time. It was to be tons better than the original type. Well the tip of the extractor broke off. Still have the little spring and plunger, need a new extractor arm. Any gunsmiths in NEPA got one? or can I get a new bolt (short action 308)?

Default Re: Need Sako extractor part rem700

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I have a Remington M700 that had the Sako extractor mod done a some before time. It was to be tons better than the original type. Well the tip of the extractor broke off. Still have the little spring and plunger, need a new extractor arm. Any gunsmiths in NEPA got one? or can I get a new bolt (short action 308)?
    LOL, "was to be" and "actually are" usually tend to be 2 different things. I know lots of gunsmiths that while they prefer Sako extractors, say putting one on a Remington bolt fact puts it in a bad position. I've heard of lots of them being completely blown out of the bolt face on a hot reload, or if you get a pierced primer. I don't know that many people that have many problems with Remington stock extractors. Either way, I won't hate on anybody that has the mod done, because they're good reliable extractors.

There's NO reason for you to get a new bolt, you'd have to have the rifle properly headspaced. I'm guessing the old one was probably trued as well if they took the time to cut and modify it for the sako, the new one wouldn't be trued up either. Since you have the spring and plunger, all you should need is the extractor. Callahan makes a nice one, and you can get them at places like midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=670819 . Note that it's NOT a drop in part and does require some fitting. Does that look like what you were needing? I believe that's all you need, hope that helps.