Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Why won't you guys carry smaller pistols.

I was wondering. With all the good reliable, small, easily concealed pistols that are on the market right now. Why does everyone insist on carrying the larger pistols?

Concealability seems to be an issue over and over again. So, why not go with a weapon that is easily concealed.

With the Kel-Tec P-11 that carries 12 rounds of 9mm and fits in your front pocket or the new P-9 that is even thinner. The Kimbers and Kahrs that carry 45 and fit in your front pockets. The new Para that fits in the palm of your hand. These guns all shoot very well. Are extremely concealable. And there are others that fit this bill.

For any self defense situation that we will probably encounter and actually use our firearms, long range shoots probably won't be needed. They will most likely be up close and personal. If you think your going to need long range shoots, we need to start carrying our rifles.

Sooooo, why carry the bigger guns, that are harder to conceal. When so many reliable "pocket pistols" are out there that can get the job done nicely, and are very easy to conceal.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Why won't you guys carry smaller pistols.

because i have no problem concealing a g17.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I was wondering. With all the good reliable, small, easily concealed pistols that are on the market right now. Why does everyone insist on carrying the larger pistols?

Concealability seems to be an issue over and over again. So, why not go with a weapon that is easily concealed.

With the Kel-Tec P-11 that carries 12 rounds of 9mm and fits in your front pocket or the new P-9 that is even thinner. The Kimbers and Kahrs that carry 45 and fit in your front pockets. The new Para that fits in the palm of your hand. These guns all shoot very well. Are extremely concealable. And there are others that fit this bill.

For any self defense situation that we will probably encounter and actually use our firearms, long range shoots probably won't be needed. They will most likely be up close and personal. If you think your going to need long range shoots, we need to start carrying our rifles.

Sooooo, why carry the bigger guns, that are harder to conceal. When so many reliable "pocket pistols" are out there that can get the job done nicely, and are very easy to conceal.

I personally feel that even the keltec 9mms are a bit big for pocket carry, and they just arent proven.. And the micro 45's definitely aren't pocketcarryable(new word), so if you've gotta wear a holster anyway you minus well jump up a bit in barrel length and mag capacity.. and another personal reason is I feel most comfortable with a 10mm, and they dont make a small 10mm for obvious reasons...

(Philadelphia County)

I enjoy greater capacity, faster follow up shots, longer sight radius, reliability, easier weapon manipulations under stress. That and i just don't have a hard time carrying a glock 19. I own a glock 26 and understand its limitations.

I hate a pistol in my pocket. I am most familiar with my Sig 229. I had a Kel Tec that I got rid of because IN MY OPINION, it was unreliable. I will print pretty bad from time to time, but don't really care. I want to defend myself if the need would ever arise, with the best pistol that I could possibly afford, and with one that I have trained with the most and become the most familiar with. After the many many many thousands of rounds through the SIG, it would take me a long long time to ever become that proficient with anything else.
    Jules

(Luzerne County)

Because I have no problem concealing a G23 or a commander in VMII's
    AND I carry open the rest of the time

(Allegheny County)

I carried my Bersa Thunder (7+1) for a couple years when I first got my permit. I always felt secure with it. However, as time went on, I cared less and less about printing and now carry my Taurus 24/7 Pro (17+1) . I have a Don Hume JIT that pretty much keeps it all in there nice and tight. There are times I still need the smaller package of the Bersa, but when I wear it, the limitations of capacity are always running through my mind now. So put me into the capacity catagory.

(Philadelphia County)

Because they look like trinkets that just emerged from a Happy Meal.

Seriously though, I'd never carry one of those tiny pistols, they feel awkward in my hands and I can't shoot well with them.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post

Those sound like back up guns to me.
    It's been my experience that as the semi-auto handguns get smaller, their reliability starts to suffer. The J-Frame size revolver seems to be a good BUG, but as a primary it just doesn't hack it. I prefer a Glock 19. I am 5'8" 175 lbs. and it is not difficult for me to conceal.

the way I see it is, if the micro guns where perfected, glock would make one.....

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast