Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default CeaseFirePA Press Release: Radnor, Upper Merion, Baldwin, Whitaker

http://www.ceasefirepa.org/node/139

Radnor Township in Delaware County,
    Upper Merion Township in Montgomery County, and
    Baldwin and Whitaker Boroughs in Allegheny County…
    All call on General Assembly to take action to curb illegal gun trafficking.

PENNSYLVANIA – April 16, 2010 – In the last few days, four more towns have taken action in support of a law that would require citizens to report to police when they discover their handgun has been lost or stolen. 36 towns, from East to West across Pennsylvania, have now taken action by passing local ordinances or resolutions supporting lost or stolen and urging the state General Assembly to pass the reform as a statewide law.

In Baldwin and Whitaker Boroughs, in southwest Pennsylvania, the councils each voted this week to pass a resolution calling for state action, despite lack of support from their local state legislators. In 2008, when the General Assembly first considered a lost or stolen handgun reporting law, Reps. Harry Readshaw, Bill Kortz and Marc Gergely voted against the reform. These legislators represent these two communities in Harrisburg.

Baldwin Councilman Bob Collet explained Baldwin Council’s purpose in passing the resolution: “I voted ‘yes’ on the resolution urging our state representatives to take action on a lost and stolen gun law because I believe every right we have carries with it a responsibility. We have the right to own and carry guns – but we also have the responsibility to keep them out of the hands of criminals. Reporting a gun that is no longer in your possession just makes common sense. I believe that over time, the reporting of lost and stolen guns will help law enforcement track down those who are selling guns to those criminals who cannot buy guns legally.”

In addition to Baldwin and Whitaker, eight other municipalities within some part of the three legislators’ districts have taken action supporting a lost or stolen handgun reporting law, including West Mifflin, West Homestead, Glassport, Liberty, Lincoln, Homestead, Munhall and Duquesne. Despite support for lost or stolen from the communities he represents, Rep. Kortz, in particular, has worked with the gun lobby to provide information to local elected officials in an effort to persuade those officials to consider voting against the reform.

“Given the results in Baldwin, West Mifflin, Glassport and Liberty, where the local Councils have all voted to take action in support of lost or stolen, it seems that Rep. Kortz is out of touch with his constituents. These communities all support a lost or stolen handgun reporting law, they want the General Assembly to support this reform – and that includes their representative in Harrisburg,” said Joe Grace, executive director of CeaseFirePA.

In southeastern PA, meanwhile, Radnor Township has the full, bipartisan support of its legislators in Harrisburg. Radnor’s unanimous vote in support of a resolution urging the General Assembly to pass a statewide lost or stolen handgun reporting law strengthens the position of Democratic Reps. Bryan Lentz and Greg Vitali, and Republican Rep. William Adolph – all of whom voted to pass a statewide law in 2008, as well as State Sen. Daylin Leach, who is on record supporting the reform as well.

Radnor Township Board of Commissioners Chairman John Nagle announced his community’s support for the reform: “Radnor Township is pleased to be able to lend its voice to the efforts of CeaseFirePA and others in addressing this significant public health crisis in Pennsylvania."

A vocal voice in considering the reform in Radnor was former township commissioner and current CeaseFirePA Treasurer Jim Higgins: “I'm gratified to see Radnor take a strong stand against illegal gun trafficking and send a strong signal to the General Assembly to pass a lost or stolen handgun reporting law for Pennsylvania. I'm proud to see so many municipalities take action in support of lost or stolen. It's clearly time for the legislature to take heed of this growing, statewide grass roots movement for a reasonable step to help police curb the illegal straw purchase and sale of handguns to criminals.”

Likewise, Upper Merion Township in Montgomery County, which passed a resolution last night urging action by the General Assembly on lost or stolen, is represented by State Rep. Tim Briggs, who has worked to push this issue onto the agenda in suburban Philadelphia. “I am proud my home township, Upper Merion, has gotten behind this important legislation. In a bipartisan show of unity, they have now joined more than 30 other municipalities from across the Commonwealth who know that the time has come to pass lost or stolen. I will continue to work in Harrisburg to make our state safer by passing this sensible legislation.”

Sen. Leach congratulated Radnor and Upper Merion for their action: "I am thrilled Radnor and Upper Merion have joined the growing ranks of municipalities in asking that the legislature act to make Pennsylvania safer. This is the will of the people, expressed through their local representatives. We should listen."

36 Pennsylvania communities have now taken action in support of lost or stolen handgun reporting. Polling commissioned by CeaseFirePA found overwhelming support for a lost or stolen handgun reporting requirement in the Commonwealth. 96 percent of Pennsylvanians support the reform – including 92 percent of gun owners. Polling conducted by the Mayors Against Illegal Guns coalition confirmed those results, finding 78 percent of NRA members and 88 percent of gun owners nationally support a lost or stolen handgun reporting requirement.

CeaseFirePA executive director Grace discussed the statewide momentum in support of the reform: “The towns’ actions support what we have known for a while – the gun lobby's voice is not the only voice in PA anymore. The voice of reason is gaining ground. Communities in the east and west – boroughs, townships, and cities - are taking matters into their own hands and calling on the General Assembly to address this important issue. Lost or stolen handgun reporting is not about gun rights. It is about law enforcement. The towns are way ahead of the General Assembly on this.”

Last fall, State Police Commissioner Frank Pawlowski released a statement endorsing a lost or stolen handgun reporting law, and encouraging municipalities to continue pressing for statewide reform to address the proliferation of illegal guns. The Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Association, the International Association of Chiefs of Police, and the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association have also come out in favor of the reform as a statewide measure. In the last decade, 22 police officers have been shot and killed in Pennsylvania, many of them slain by criminals armed with illegal guns.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: CeaseFirePA Press Release: Radnor, Upper Merion, Baldwin, Whitaker

I love how they fail to mention the fact that...

THESE ORDINANCES ARE IN VIOLATION OF STATE LAW

(Clinton County)

we really need to amend the Uniform Firearms Act with penalties for anyone who violates preemption. There was a bill up before the judicial committee I wonder if any progress has been made on that.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    we really need to amend the Uniform Firearms Act with penalties for anyone who violates preemption. There was a bill up before the judicial committee I wonder if any progress has been made on that.
    No need to AMEND it. It already exists:

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6119. (Violation penalty.)
    Except as otherwise specifically provided, an offense under this subchapter constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    That covers ALL of Title 18, Chapter 61.

(Bucks County)

That is exactly what I wanted to speak to Sabatina about.

These people keep violating the state preemption laws to suite their own agenda.

Why should I have to fork money out of my own pocket to support or verify something that is already illegal and a violation of my rights?

They act just like drug dealers. They keep going until they get caught. They hurt people acting under the law. They have a complete disregard for the law.

(Montgomery County)

It seems to me, this is exactly the way to go. It's CeaseFirePA's full-time job to lobby these townships for Lost & Stolen. And this illegal movement seems to be gaining steam across the state.

I posted this earlier today. Plymouth Township is scheduled to vote on Lost & Stolen on May 10th.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ce-notice.html

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    No need to AMEND it. It already exists:

That covers ALL of Title 18, Chapter 61.
    So then by legal definition these people are criminals.

(Allegheny County)

So then by legal definition these people are criminals.
    Exactly. Now, try and get ANY news outlet to report that.

And something even less likely, try and get the AG to prosecute.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    Exactly. Now, try and get ANY news outlet to report that.

And something even less likely, try and get the AG to prosecute.
    Isn't the current AG that pro gun guy? Yea...

(Clearfield County)

Isn't the current AG that pro gun guy? Yea...
    You'd think if he wanted to show he was pro gun and against government corruption/criminals in government he'd be all over this. I get the feeling he's just another politician.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast