Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default "Abide By Local Law" Question

I know of several major corporations, particularly Starbucks and WalMart, that say that their open carry policy is to abide by state and local law. The exact press release from Starbucks (http://news.starbucks.com/article_di...article_id=332) simply says that "we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states".

To me, this is a big gray area. Here in PA, isn't it true that the owner of a private business can ask you to leave if you're carrying? Say I walk into Starbucks in downtown State College with my Sig on my hip and the manager asks me to leave. Do I have to? Sure, corporate policy is to abide by the laws (or lack thereof) that allow open carry, but those same laws also allow owners of private property to ask you to leave. I'm glad that many big corporations have stood up to the Brady Campaign, but I'm not sure how far their efforts have really gone to allow open carry.

I'm all for standing up for my rights, but I can't afford to go to jail over a cup of mediocre coffee. Does anyone have any information on what my rights are in cases like this?
    | Penn State Class of 2008

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: "Abide By Local Law" Question

Quote Originally Posted by psublue View Post
    Say I walk into Starbucks in downtown State College with my Sig on my hip and the manager asks me to leave. Do I have to?
    Frankly, since I can't answer the question you ask, I'll speculate on what I would do instead.

If I was asked to leave I would, but then I would follow up with Starbucks corporate to correct the local manager. This way you 1) don't get arrested for trespassing, 2) don't make a stink in the local press, and 3) don't get arrested for trespassing.

(Delaware County)

If a business is run by a corporate office, they must follow their instructions.

Regardless of this... if a manager asks you to leave, you leave.

You probably won't be un-arrested because you tell the cop the manager is not following corporate policy. That is between the manager and his/her boss at a later date.

The manager speaks and represents the company. Maybe they'll get fired tomorrow, but today, they are telling you to leave.

(Montgomery County)

Tell the manager you will return in compliance with their request to disarm or cover, don't purchase anything, leave, cover (or leave it in your car safe if you are comfortable with doing so) then come back and request that they call their corporate HQ to confirm the policy, if they refuse, get their name and call HQ yourself.

(Jefferson County)

Yes, you leave when asked to leave. You then petition corporate to remedy the situation.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

the last people you want to try and explain shit to is the scpd, bunch of slack jawed strong armed retards in that police force. I'd leave and inform the manager that I will be contacting corporate from the sidewalk

Quote Originally Posted by psublue View Post
    Here in PA, isn't it true that the owner of a private business can ask you to leave if you're carrying?
    Yes, but it isn't just in PA and it doesn't have to be the owner.

Say I walk into Starbucks in downtown State College with my Sig on my hip and the manager asks me to leave. Do I have to?
    Yes, immediately.

Sure, corporate policy is to abide by the laws (or lack thereof) that allow open carry, but those same laws also allow owners of private property to ask you to leave.
    Not really. Property rights (or, more accurately, the right to property) are, apart from the right to life, the most fundamental right. They aren't tied to firearms laws.

Does anyone have any information on what my rights are in cases like this?
    You have none, whether they allow you to open carry on their premises or not.