Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for an AK

I'm looking to get an AK-47 7.62x39. I would like to know what is a good one to get without spending more than $700, I would really like to stay in the $500-$600 range. I'm seeing all the ads that have them online for $349 and the like but I don't think they are really good, basically I need some advice on what you all think is a good AK in my price range. Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Looking for an AK

An AK is an AK really. Unless it's one of those "Made in the USA" ones they are all going to be pretty close to the same in reliability and such. The finish might not be quite as good on some of them but it's an AK. They aren't supposed to be pretty.

Check www.jgsales.com they generally have plenty of AKs to pick from.

What I meant was I don't want to buy some POS. I'm looking for something that doesn't have dumb issues, but also one that is not totally beat up. I prefer a chromed barrel and the crimp in the receiver so the mags don't rattle but not a deal breaker, if I found a decent WASR-10 with a chrome barrel I would scoop it up. I don't really know that much about them but I don't want to buy one and sell it in a month to get something better.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    What I meant was I don't want to buy some POS. I'm looking for something that doesn't have dumb issues, but also one that is not totally beat up. I prefer a chromed barrel and the crimp in the receiver so the mags don't rattle but not a deal breaker, if I found a decent WASR-10 with a chrome barrel I would scoop it up. I don't really know that much about them but I don't want to buy one and sell it in a month to get something better.
    http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/rif...51f3f8dff012ab

Plenty to choose from and I've never known an AK bought from them to be a POS or have problems.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I'm looking to get an AK-47 7.62x39. I would like to know what is a good one to get without spending more than $700, I would really like to stay in the $500-$600 range. I'm seeing all the ads that have them online for $349 and the like but I don't think they are really good, basically I need some advice on what you all think is a good AK in my price range. Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

Check this out....

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=350

They sell the Arsenal Ak's. There base model runs for about $700 and have different models listed.

I have started researching AK's and I am looking into getting one myself and have heard nothing but good things about the Arsenal AK's.

You can also try..

www.ak47.net

They have alot of info about AK's in general.

AG

(Lancaster County)

I got a Romy G that was built by a smith and was getting ready to put it in the classifieds area this week, I only put 40 rounds through it.

PM me if you want more details, or I'll link the ad in this thread later, I don't want to break any rules and get my hand slapped by putting up to much info in this section.

(Lancaster County)

As most have said, they're pretty much all the same. Don't buy into the hype behind the "better" AK. Better this, better that mine's bigger than yours...you get the point.

The chromed barrel is a good feature to have, and most do. The only ones that don't (for the most part) are the Yugo's and the Century GP1975.

There's nothing wrong with the WASR. The old ones had issues but the new ones don't seem to have issues. Save yourself the money on the gun and grab some ammo.

If you want to spend a little extra, check out the AK-74's on www.atlanticfirearms.com. They shoot the cheaper and more accurate 5.45x39 cartridge.

(Crawford County)

Buy a Saiga - convert / restore. case closed. My saiga I thought I loved to shoot - till I converted it, not it is seriously amazing. Personal opinion, but I as well researched on a cheap rifle, started with looking at the mosin, then the sks, then ended up with a saiga. Pretty much all ak's are the same in reliability as well as accuracy, except I read multiple places the MOA on a saiga is one of if not the best for ak's, especially being one of the cheapest ak's to be bought for new. Plus converting / restoring it allows you to adapt your personality into the rifle as well as know every part of it, and how it functions.

The only ones I have heard to avoid are Egyptian ak's - I think because of something about being thrown together with odds and ends, but if someone else has any insight into this, please add. Either way, you will love the gun. Just buy ammo in bulk, because once you start shooting, youll have too much fun to ever want to stop! =]

Hope I helped!
    Nick

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    check out the AK-74's on www.atlanticfirearms.com. They shoot the cheaper and more accurate 5.45x39 cartridge.
    only thing with that is the 7.62 is more abundant in local stores and such, rather then most stores not carrying the 5.45 and considering it to be a "specialty" round like the 8mm mauser. But if thats what you want, centerfire has a great deal on a 74 with 3 free mags right now

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by g4mbl3 View Post
    only thing with that is the 7.62 is more abundant in local stores and such, rather then most stores not carrying the 5.45 and considering it to be a "specialty" round like the 8mm mauser. But if thats what you want, centerfire has a great deal on a 74 with 3 free mags right now
    But 5.45 is a helluva lot cheaper than 7.62 right now. 1000 rounds of 7.62x39mm can be found for a bit over $200. I can buy more than that for about $80 less.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....f6c432c14f7ff4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast