Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking for an AK

Quote Originally Posted by g4mbl3 View Post
    Buy a Saiga - convert / restore. case closed. My saiga I thought I loved to shoot - till I converted it, not it is seriously amazing. Personal opinion, but I as well researched on a cheap rifle, started with looking at the mosin, then the sks, then ended up with a saiga. Pretty much all ak's are the same in reliability as well as accuracy, except I read multiple places the MOA on a saiga is one of if not the best for ak's, especially being one of the cheapest ak's to be bought for new. Plus converting / restoring it allows you to adapt your personality into the rifle as well as know every part of it, and how it functions.

The only ones I have heard to avoid are Egyptian ak's - I think because of something about being thrown together with odds and ends, but if someone else has any insight into this, please add. Either way, you will love the gun. Just buy ammo in bulk, because once you start shooting, youll have too much fun to ever want to stop! =]

Hope I helped!Nick
    actually, the egyptian is the closet to russian quality that you can get unless of course you can get a soviet ak but they are way more than $700. (excluding the SAIGA)

I just put a WASR on hold at my favorite shop, this would be my 3rd wasr and while i've never spent more than $400 on an AK I will admit that i would have the feeling of getting raped if i spent $600 on an ak that I could get for $350 with same ammo, same mags, same parts and its an ak just like the one that some guy payed $500 for. it will be my go to rifle which means it will get the shit kicked out of it so paying $300 extra for a nice clean and smooth finish would be stupid on my part. have you ever seen an extremely used Ak? why spend double for something that will wear away?
    Last edited by 556slinger; April 19th, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    What I meant was I don't want to buy some POS. I'm looking for something that doesn't have dumb issues, but also one that is not totally beat up. I prefer a chromed barrel and the crimp in the receiver so the mags don't rattle but not a deal breaker, if I found a decent WASR-10 with a chrome barrel I would scoop it up. I don't really know that much about them but I don't want to buy one and sell it in a month to get something better.
    The answer to your question is "Norinco MAK-90".

Type that phrase into GunBroker.

Also - JG Sales still has a pristine one for sale.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

So as per the advice of some of you guys I went on J&G Sales this morning and picked up a WASR-10/63 w/ bayo and sling and 5 extra mags including the shipping I was still under $500 which allows me to get some ammo like 1000 rounds but I picked up 100 @ my local gun shop tonight. I spoke to a woman @ J&G after I got home from work and she said I will have it by Tues. I decided to go with J&G instead of Classic Arms cause I didn't like the black stock I really like the wood furniture on the AK I guess I'm a purist. Big thanks to Warpt7.62x39 for recommending them more than once it made me look twice and make my decision. Thanks dude I owe you a beer and a hooker!

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I'm looking to get an AK-47 7.62x39. I would like to know what is a good one to get without spending more than $700, I would really like to stay in the $500-$600 range. I'm seeing all the ads that have them online for $349 and the like but I don't think they are really good, basically I need some advice on what you all think is a good AK in my price range. Thanks ahead of time for the responses.
    from wasr to century they are all the same. honestly it just depends on the rifle furniture that you want and what type you are looking for, in all respects that is the only thing that matters when shopping for one because they are really all made the same. if your hunting for one online i would suggest looking at atlanticfirearms.com. they have a nice selection. you local gun store will always have them. i bought an io ak with that romanian furniture and the wooden forgrip, it shoots great. as far as your price range, you wont pay less than 400 to 500 bucks. i think i got mine for 400 bucks from tanners gun store in furlong. IO is the cheapest. haha vut you already went through so never mind

(Philadelphia County)

If you can find an Egyptian I'd say go for it, otherwise you can get a WASR for under $400 these days... nothing wrong with them either, so long as you know how to check for mag wobble & canting. Fewer of the problem WASRs are around now than in the past, so its not such a huge risk to grab one.

Besides, its an AK... even the broken & screwed up ones go BANG rather reliably.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Allegheny County)

I like WASR's.

Romanian barrel. Chrome lined. Crooked sights and gas blocks. Little mag wobble makes mag changes easier, and allows you to use ANY magazine; metal or polymer. Drop it on cement and you don't go "oh noooooOOOOOOOoooo my 4 digit $ rifle". You pick it back up check the mag to make sure rounds didn't dislodge... and go about your day. Hits what I point it at...

Yep. I have no problems with them. There are lots of haters out there but the fact is that many of them make fine rifles.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123