Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking for an AK

Quote Originally Posted by g4mbl3 View Post
    only thing with that is the 7.62 is more abundant in local stores and such, rather then most stores not carrying the 5.45 and considering it to be a "specialty" round like the 8mm mauser. But if thats what you want, centerfire has a great deal on a 74 with 3 free mags right now
    True that; Dunhams has been running sales on 7.62x39 Wolf for like the past month. A lot less of a hit on the budget all at once when you grab 2-3 boxes at a pop, vs. $hundreds on the ccard for a case of 5.45x39 mailorder.

Over time, you soon find your'e sitting on a K or 2 of ammo, without the strain.

Just an observation.

Edit:

Not mine but someone has a Yugo U/F in our classifieds. Has the desirable Zastava markings on the barrel trunnion, which AFAIK, means the trunnion came from a stamped Yugo.
    Last edited by nfafan; April 19th, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    But 5.45 is a helluva lot cheaper than 7.62 right now. 1000 rounds of 7.62x39mm can be found for a bit over $200. I can buy more than that for about $80 less.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....f6c432c14f7ff4

as far as that goes 200-150 = 50. Plus that ammo on the link is corrosive, which you either clean the crap out of your rifle, or things will go bad quickly. Dont get me wrong, 5.45 is still cheaper, but not at the acclaimed $80, more like $20-$40 cheaper for 1000 rds. To each their own, but I will stick with my 7.63x39 =]

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the WASR. The old ones had issues but the new ones don't seem to have issues. Save yourself the money on the gun and grab some ammo.
    ive had my WASR10 since the end of Feb and put almost 1200 rds though it and havent had one issue, but it does have a little mag wiggle but no biggie to me

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I'm looking to get an AK-47 7.62x39. I would like to know what is a good one to get without spending more than $700, I would really like to stay in the $500-$600 range. I'm seeing all the ads that have them online for $349 and the like but I don't think they are really good, basically I need some advice on what you all think is a good AK in my price range. Thanks ahead of time for the responses.
    Century has really stepped up on their QC issues with the WASRs. They might not be perfect but they are definitely better than what they used to be. If your really worried to to Henderson Defense's site ( http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/cat...c?categoryId=4 ) and buy a "certified" WASR. They person verify every one that they certify.

Other options: Yugo's, Saigas, Chinese Mak90 and Egyptians.

The only ones I have heard to avoid are Egyptian ak's - I think because of something about being thrown together with odds and ends, but if someone else has any insight into this, please add.
    Out of the 5 or so model of Egyptian AKs, there is only one to avoid. It's the MISR 90 ... it's a hodgepodge of different countries parts that where slapped together. The other ones are actually very nice AKs.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

A WASR is fine, I Love my WASR. Mags do wobble but get one of those plastic ones to solve that.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    ive had my WASR10 since the end of Feb and put almost 1200 rds though it and havent had one issue, but it does have a little mag wiggle but no biggie to me

(Delaware County)

I have a Century International Arms Yugo and I'm very happy with it. The receiver is a bit thicker/heavier than other models, and it has the dimples to solve the mag wiggle, and has the sights for a grenade launcher. The barrel is not chrome lined but as long as you take care of it its really not an issue.

By far the biggest downfall of the Yugo AK's is that the furniture is specific to them therefore it is a problem if you want to change it. I have a UTG fore grip that works well and looks even better. But I still have not been able to find a stock.

For reference I got mine at a gun show for 600 with a case, cleaning kit, bayonet w/leather frog, and 3 40rd mags

(Monroe County)

I have a converted Saiga and a WASR. Except for a few spots I needed to file down because they were sharp their was really no difference other than the finish. I redid the wood and the filing was done just for my own personal thing, it did not affect function at all. The only difference is the Saiga holds a slightly tighter pattern out to two hundred yards than the WASR. Based on my groups at 2 I can easily see you hitting a man sized upper body to three with either of them.

I would check out Classic Arms website. I believe they have a Romanian WASR with custom molded stocks for a sale price of $350. You can add the shooters package and get a good carryign case, mags and the extra's like sling, mag carrier, and bayonet for four hundred plus FFL fee. If you like the look of wood a wooden set of furniture is inexpensive and easily changed.

www.classicarms.us/
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; April 19th, 2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: link added

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I'm looking to get an AK-47 7.62x39. I would like to know what is a good one to get without spending more than $700, I would really like to stay in the $500-$600 range. I'm seeing all the ads that have them online for $349 and the like but I don't think they are really good, basically I need some advice on what you all think is a good AK in my price range. Thanks ahead of time for the responses.
    Try posting or looking in the classifieds. I've found a few nice guns in there.

http://forum.pafoa.org/classifieds-5/
    Last edited by Pro2A; April 19th, 2010 at 06:36 PM.

Dunham's in Lebanon has a bunch of wasr's when on sale their about $400, about the same as a online place with shipping and all the other crap thrown in
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Northampton County)

as far as that goes 200-150 = 50. Plus that ammo on the link is corrosive, which you either clean the crap out of your rifle, or things will go bad quickly. Dont get me wrong, 5.45 is still cheaper, but not at the acclaimed $80, more like $20-$40 cheaper for 1000 rds. To each their own, but I will stick with my 7.63x39 =]

Nick
    Almost every place I've seen 7.62x39mm by the case it's been $239. The cheapest I've found it was on sale at J&G for $219. But again that's on sale.

The Russian surplus 5.45x39mm is $149 for a case of 1080.

So 7.62x39mm ends up around $.22 per round. The 5.45x39mm ends up at $.13 a round.

Remember this is the ammo that the Russian military uses in their AK-74s and have had no major issues with in regards to it being corrosive. Most of the problems with corrosive ammo have to do with the rifles bore. In a chromed barrel it's basically a moot point as that is what the chrome lining is there for.

Either way, getting rid of the corrosive salts is simpler than getting rid of copper fouling. Water. That's all you need to get rid of the potassium chloride that's left in the barrel.

Corrosive ammo isn't as bad as you think if you clean your gun properly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast