Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Holster shopping

Was in Gettysburg yesterday and decided to stop at Reddings Hardware and see if they carried Blackhawk holsters. It was pretty busy so I tried my best to help myself but the holsters were displayed behind a counter witch prevented viewing what model pistol each holster would fit. I tracked someone down to ask for help, The following is what transpired.

ME: Excuse me im looking for a Blackhawk Serpa 3 for my Ruger P90.

Reddings Counter Guy: Ok lets see what we have,
    It doesent look like we stock one specifically for that model, do you have it on you?

Me:Yes.

RCG: OK lets try some of these and see if anything fits.

ME: Well where would you feel comfortable with me unloading it?

RCG: Right there is fine.

ME: Ok

I unholstered keeping it pointed at the floor, I dropped the magazine and racked the slide, cycleing the chambered round into my hand. I checked to make sure everything was clear and depressed the slide release. The RCG handed me several holsters not surprising, none of them fit. He said he was going to check the book and see if they actually made 1 for my model pistol. So I racked the slide again dropped my +1 round into the chamber, and depressed the slide release. I put my magazine back and reholstered my handgun.

To summarize my firearm actually left it's holster in public I was able to keep it from going on a shooting spree and killing all the women and children in a 5 mile area The area of the store we were in was not very populated at all, I doubt any customers even observed what i was doing. The RCG never even batted an eye, and he did'nt even ask to see my LTCF

Just thought I would report a non event, Reddings is an awsome store and I will absolutely shop there again. Hopefully they will call with some good news about a Blackhawk for my Ruger on monday. Im really getting sick of this stupid Fobus!
    I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Holster shopping

Sounds like a nice store I prefer john brown's armory out my way

(Venango County)

Not even going to comment on handling/clearing your firearm in public.....regardless of how busy the place was its still not the safest thing to do.

(Luzerne County)

Just curious what you would have done in that situation rather than carefully clearing your weapon? The only other option i see is going back to the car to do it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger402 View Post
    Im really getting sick of this stupid Fobus!
    I also currently use a Fobus for my KelTec P11 (I just love the retention) but was thinking about a Blackhawk for my Ruger P89. I am curious what you think when you finally get it. I was looking at the CQC Serpa II which is supposed to be somewhat concealable.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    Just curious what you would have done in that situation rather than carefully clearing your weapon?
    "Sandbox" is the keyword, if you want to do it by the book. Or at least a designated place in the store, where people can unload their guns.

Anyway, I go to the gun stores every now and then and did witness similar situations on many occassions. I'm all about safety, but I really don't see this as such a big deal. Finger is not on the trigger, gun is pointed into the safe direction. Loaded - yes, but it's kinda given. Bottom line - fine by me. For crying out loud - it's a gun shop, and not Toys'r Us

(Franklin County)

I wil be happy to let you know when i get it. I didnt get a chance to call today got slammed at work.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmarshall View Post
    Not even going to comment on handling/clearing your firearm in public.....regardless of how busy the place was its still not the safest thing to do.
    I'm not interested in a pissing match about this, I'm simply going to state why I like my Ruger. The safety/ firing pin block is also a decocking lever, and can remain engaged while racking the slide. So the firearm can be loaded or unloaded fairly safely. That being said, I do not take firearm safety lightly. I was not super comfortable in this situation, but if you have ever been to Reddings, there is really no place outside to go to do it.

Also curious how is this different than those who have cleared there weapon when checking it at a courthouse?

(Luzerne County)

That was kind of why I asked the question about how else should it be handled. I have never really seen a designated area for clearing a weapon in any gun shop I have been to yet.

I am typically asked to clear my weapon carefully but right in front of the counter.

I here ya on the Ruger, I love my P89. Just a little big sometimes.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger402 View Post
    I'm not interested in a pissing match about this, I'm simply going to state why I like my Ruger. The safety/ firing pin block is also a decocking lever, and can remain engaged while racking the slide. So the firearm can be loaded or unloaded fairly safely. That being said, I do not take firearm safety lightly. I was not super comfortable in this situation, but if you have ever been to Reddings, there is really no place outside to go to do it.

Also curious how is this different than those who have cleared there weapon when checking it at a courthouse?
    I personally would ask to borrow one from the counter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast