Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Rant - Mt Nittany Trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    If you're up for a fun time on a saturday night when the weather is good, head up the mtn and stay just far enough away that they can't see you but can hear you. Proceed to tromp around enough to get their attention, then stop. let them think everything is ok and go at it again. Rinse repeat. Makes for a fun evening!
    That actually sounds like fun!

(Lancaster County)

people trashing the outdoors(or anywhere for that matter) is one of those things that I have little tolerance for. Anytime I go out into the woods I bring a trash bag to pick up garbage I may find along the way.

What you came across doesn't surprise me at all. It is somewhat of a tradition among some students to camp out on MT Nittany at least once before they graduate. Being early spring, there will be a lot of this going on. I rarely climb Mt Nittany as it is always crowded, and mostly with non outdoorsy type people. It is like the tourist attraction of trails. There are so many other trails in the area that don't get nearly the traffic that Mt Nittany does, and generally have smaller percentage of the non outdoorsy types.

I know that the college students are pretty bad when it comes to being good stewards of the outdoors, and it pisses me off just as much as it does you, but lets be fair here. There is a large group of students who are vested in preserving and maintaining our wilderness areas. The Penn State Outing Club has played a huge part in maintaining the local wild areas. For example, they played a crucial role in building and maintaining the Mid State Trail, and they do annual river cleanups. I know college kids take a lot of flack around here, and a lot of it is deserved, but not all of us are bad. The bad ones just seem to stand out. But I suppose that's life.
    If I knew the world would come to pieces tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty89 View Post
    There is a large group of students who are vested in preserving and maintaining our wilderness areas. The Penn State Outing Club has played a huge part in maintaining the local wild areas. For example, they played a crucial role in building and maintaining the Mid State Trail, and they do annual river cleanups. I know college kids take a lot of flack around here, and a lot of it is deserved, but not all of us are bad. The bad ones just seem to stand out. But I suppose that's life.
    As a former college kid and PSU grad, I wasn't harping on "college kids". Hell one of my roomates was in the Outing Club. But I did point out that they were college age males. I call it like I see it.

Your point is already understood. And it wouldn't have made a difference if it were college age males, high school aged females, or a band of elderly thugs from Foxdale Village. Point is, somebody wrecked the place. It really doesn't matter who.

(Centre County)

Thanks for taking the time to clean it up. I carry a plastic bag with me to clean up after my dog, but it usually gets filled with trash. Lately, I've been carrying two (plastic bags, not dogs).
    It's disheartening to see what some college kids do to our city and surrounding areas, but State College wouldn't be what it is without them, for better or worse. Their presence brings alot of positives to the town but then you have shit like this, too. If they weren't here, some A-hole would fill their shoes in the littering department.
    It's like going to Scotia on a Monday morning. You spend the first 5 or so minutes of your trip cleaning up after everyones "fun weekend" sh1tting all over the Aux ranges. Rant over.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12