Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: TN law vs PA

(Clinton County)

Default TN law vs PA

I moved to PA about 2 years ago from TN where I lived for 10 years, what a differance in self defense laws!

In Tn there is no obligation to retreat from any place as long as you aren't a tresspaser or committing a crime, If you use force of any kind and it's deemed justified criminally, no civil suit can be filed, carrying a pistol is a misdomeanor and if you use it in self defense and the use was justified you can't even be charged with the misdomearor. Some differance up here!!
    Open carry in tn is only legal if hunting or you have Handgun Carry Permit issued by TN dept of Safety or a license or permit legal in any other state, with permit open or concealed is OK.

(Berks County)

Default Re: TN law vs PA

Yeah but here you can go to a nice restaurant that serves wine.

(Clinton County)

Any town over 10,000 population, not too many dry counties left. One bad point you can't hunt in state forest w/o special permit by lottery. and now hunting clubs are leasing most good hunting land.

(Allegheny County)

Montell C. Williams,
    I am thinking about visiting a good friend of mine in TN, and is wondering how the gun laws there differ from ones here. He's now looking for a place/club to shoot at... can I bring my firearms down there? I have a LTCF in PA, which I believe is honored in WV, VA, and TN (my trip down).. so it should be fine for me to have everything in the trunk of my car when I drive down to visit, right? And since they honor PA's LTCF, I could lawfully CC there if I wanted to, right?

(Clinton County)

Your PA LTCF is good in TN, but in TN no carry in any place that sells alcaholic beverages by the drink or at organized sporting events or state parks, long guns can be carried in vehicle as long as unloaded including magazine. I always lived in the country and people just shot in the yard or any place that had a hill for a backstop

In rural areas nobody even looks if you are wearing a pistol no matter what the law says, there is a great social differance, where I lived you could stand on the Grundy County Court steps and hear shooting and people didn't even look up, in cities it is better than here but not like rural areas.
    Last edited by Montell C. Williams; September 22nd, 2007 at 06:55 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Montell,
    Thanks for the reply!
    So, please correct me if I mis-understood you:
    1) When I carry a long gun in my vehicle, the mags, too, have to be empty (aside from being stored in a separate container)?
    2) That I cannot carry if:
    a. we were to go eat at a restaurant like OliveGarden or T.G.I.Fridays because they serve alcoholic beverage "by the drink"?
    b. we decide to go see a college football game?
    c. we wanted to go visit the Smokey Mountains?
    Thanks!

(Clinton County)

The mags can be loaded if not in the gun, all the law says is organized sporting event, you decide, national forrest has thier own regulations,I never went to them but suppose they have a web site.

If they serve whiskey or beer for onsite consumption no CCW.

(Northampton County)

PA is very good in that there are very few places a permit holder cannot CCW,ie...bars,churches are OK.

PA, I feel does however need to change its law on use of deadly force to more protect one who defends himself or another.
    The idea that a criminal should be able to sue his victim is insane.
    Last edited by reverserboy; September 24th, 2007 at 10:01 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, Montell! I'll just make sure that if I were carrying, that I'd disarm myself before going into a alcohol-serving-restaurant.

reverserboy, I totallay agree... that just seems crazy that one is very likely to be sued or "counter-sued" by someone he/she had to defend themselves from. First, defend my life, then defend my life-savings and name.... GREAT.