Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Firearms and weapons of every kind are strictly forbidden

Ok I am trying to look into info to get my company policy changed. No names on the company but they are BIG. Below is there policy on "weapons".

1. ******* is committed to providing its associates with a safe and secure work environment.
    2 In order to ensure that each of its associates is afforded a safe work environment, firearms and weapons of every kind, nature, or description are strictly forbidden on Company property, in Company vehicles, and/or inside Company buildings, lockers, and other workspaces. There is no exception.
    3 It is important to note that this policy also prohibits, to the extent permitted by state and local laws, firearms and weapons which may be contained in private automobiles, trucks, and/or motorcycles that are parked in Company parking lots or which are otherwise brought onto Company property.
    4 Any associate who violates this policy will be subject to disciplinary action up to an including immediate discharge from employment and removal from the premises.

My issue is this: What right do they have to say I can not lock it (weapon) in the car securely? I have 1 of those lock box's from Cabalas.

I can understand not being allowed to carry into the building but basically I have no way to protect myself once I leave work. So from work to home (about a 30 min drive) if something were to happen what then?? I stop for gas & some one pulls a knife, or something on me.

What really concerns me the most, is a few months ago at one of our other locations (I am at the corporate location) we had an ex-employee (was fired because of downsizing) walk into the location & KILL FIVE PEOPLE THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS FIRING!!
    Now we have no security guard or anything at work. So how "safe" can it really be?!?! Even after this.
    Beretta: PX4 Storm 9MM NEOS .22LR 950 JetFire .25

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Firearms and weapons of every kind are strictly forbidden

Quote Originally Posted by 1SweetV6 View Post
    Now we have no security guard or anything at work. So how "safe" can it really be?!?! Even after this.
    It's a "gun free zone", it's completely safe.

/sarcasm

But seriously, I hope you can do something about it... however, I wouldn't hold my breath...
    III%

(Jefferson County)

Discussed several times before. Landowner rights prevail above all, except the protected classes(race, religion, handicaps, gender, etc) pertaining to employment.

If your car is on their property, they can say what is allowed. You are king of your castle and lands, and so are they of theirs. Its no different from me parking my car in your driveway then going to see your neighbor.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 15th, 2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: bad grammar..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Park your car off company property.
    Personally I wouldn't attempt to try and get the company policy changed. Especially a BIG one. It's a good way to get yourself unemployed.

This has been discussed here numerous times.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/949...-property.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/140...ns-policy.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...you-carry.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/140...ns-policy.html
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Discussed several times before. Landowner rights prevail above all, except the protected classes(race, religion, handicaps, gender, etc) pertaining to employment.

If you car is on their property, they can say what is allowed. You king of your castle and lands, and so are they of theirs. Its no different from me parking my car in your driveway then going to see your neighbor.
    Other states have addressed this with new laws allowing owners to keep their pistols in their cars despite property owners wishes. http://www.nraila.org/legislation/read.aspx?id=4060 It would be nice if PA had something similar. Maybe the OP should see what efforts are underway in PA to cover this.
    Last edited by falcn; April 15th, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Quote Originally Posted by 1SweetV6 View Post
    Ok I am trying to look into info to get my company policy changed.
    They're not going to change it, and you'll just draw unwanted attention to yourself. The HR folks and their attorneys have told them that forbidding weapons will work in the company's favor liability-wise if a violent attack occurs. They can say "we told them not to do that." It clearly doesn't make anyone safer, but that's not their objective.

(Bucks County)

How did Florida do it?

Also, isn't the 2nd amendment a protected right? Can you discriminate based on the 2nd?

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Also, isn't the 2nd amendment a protected right? Can you discriminate based on the 2nd?
    To my understanding - yes. State can not, but an individual (or private company, for ex) - can.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    You don't have freedom of speech in the workplace. There are no "gun owner" discrimination laws. The 2nd is a right protected from the government, not private property owners. Just as you are able to tell some stranger he can't bring an AK47 onto your property.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    They're not going to change it, and you'll just draw unwanted attention to yourself. The HR folks and their attorneys have told them that forbidding weapons will work in the company's favor liability-wise if a violent attack occurs. They can say "we told them not to do that." It clearly doesn't make anyone safer, but that's not their objective.
    That's it. It's the bean-counters and lawyers, doing inhuman math.

If they allow guns, and an employee kills a dozen people, then there will be lawsuits against the company for the "foreseeable consequences" of allowing employees to pack heat.

On the other hand, if they have a firm written policy against guns, and they fire a few drones every year for violating the policy, then they have a defense. They aren't liable for the intervening criminal acts of any shooter who comes into the defenseless work site, and in this economy it won't be too hard to replace the lost worker-units.

It's the same cold blooded logic of the auto company that had a memo calculating that it would be cheaper to pay the predicted wrongful death claims than to fix the cause in every car. The courts crucified them over that. I could see courts eventually doing the same to Pizza Hut or any other company that knowingly exposes employees to death without doing jack to protect them, purely for liability reasons.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast