Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default Getting a resident LTCF without a PA address?

I'm currently active duty Army stationed in Colorado. I have a current LTCF from PA and retain PA residency and need to renew my permit soon. My wife would like to get her LTCF as well. I'll be back in PA for leave soon and would like to get it for her then, but we do not have a physical PA address. Can we just use her parents address? Is there a clause that will allow her to get a permit and put our Colorado address on it? If we cannot use her parents address, what county would we get the permit through? Any? Help is appreciated and a link to solid information would be even better. Something that I could print out and bring along that way if they're unfamiliar with the policy I could show them would be best! Thanks for the help guys.

CMS

Default Re: Getting a resident LTCF without a PA address?

you didn't say, but it sounds like she is a resident of Colorado (drivers license, etc.). If so, she could get a nonresident LTCF (Centre County has a well-oiled machine for these). But she would need to have a license from her home state if they issue them, -- which obviously Colorado does. Of course, reciprocity would cover her here anyway. Otherwise she'd need to establish residency here and apply with the sheriff of that county. An alternative is to get a Florida or Utah nonresident license (don't need a license from your home state), which is good here and covers a lot more states than PA.

(Cambria County)

Sorry...forgot to mention. No she's a PA resident as well with a PA DL. Thanks,

CMS

(Lebanon County)

Use what ever address you use as your "Home of Record", same address you use for your PA Driver's license.

Then I assume that the address on your DL is not one you can use now? If that's the case she (and you?) can change your PA DL address to her parents address. You can do that on line and they'll send out an update card to the new address. I moved 3 years ago and haven't updated my photo ID; I just carry the update card along with it. As a resident, you need to apply to the sheriff of that county. Most if not all counties require residents to appear in person. She could do that while she's here, and some counties issue on the spot -- though they can take up to 45 days.

https://www.dot4.state.pa.us/driver_...00414144131528

(Cambria County)

Thanks for the help! Any clue if Northumberland Co issues permits on the spot?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
    I don't know, but here's their website about applying.

http://www.northumberlandsheriff.com.../firearms.html

Quote Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
    I'd go to that county in the "Regions" section of the forum and ask there.

(Chester County)

At the outset I'll admit that I'm lacking in detailed knowledge of how the SCRA/SSCRA (hereinafter 'Acts') work but I'll throw out some thoughts for discussion. These are all my opinions - I'm willing to be educated if they are factual inaccurate.

1. The "Home of Record" is simply the state you resided in when entering the service and has no practical application regarding the issues at hand (DL and LTCF);

2. The "Legal Residency' is the state that you intend to reside in upon discharge. For ONLY those areas defined in the Acts, such as taxation (including MV issues) and voting, you are considered a resident of that state. That residency designation does not extend to areas outside of the Acts such as LTCFs or firearm purchases which require actual in-state residences;

3. the LTCF application as well as the MV application requires your physical address. If you use a relative's address which is factually NOT where you reside you may have committed "unsworn falsification to authorities" [18 Pa CSA 4904] - a misdemeanor 3.

Further inquires should be made to PennDOT concerning the DLs and the sheriff of Centre county regarding whether to apply as a resident or non-resident for the LTCF before making/signing any official applications.

I'm sure your circumstance are not unique and there probably is an already established procedure but I would be surprised if it were to use a 'false' address. You should also inquire as to how the same issues are handled for military spouses.
    IANAL

(Cambria County)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to end up emailing them about this. Worst case scenario she gets a CO resident CCW, which will work until we move back to PA.

CMS