Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Re: before and after of my first run at cast boolits

Congratulations, that must be a great feeling. I have never heard of the pie tins gas checks, can you tell us more about how you do this??

Well done. I still remember the feeling when I shot my first cast bullets. And they did what I wanted them to. Good luck.

(Mercer County)

It is quite a rush when you shoot your first home poured. I remember my first. Home poured is the only way I can afford to shoot IPSC any more. $100+/1000 bullets is out of my pay grade.

It gets addictive. You start scrounging lead from everywhere, even volunteering to clean out the pit at the sportsmen's club just so you can smelt down the lead. Luckily I don't expect to ever move.

I'm just getting started in casting boolits. I've got a few hundred pounds of wheel weights stockpiled, and some 1lb ingots made. My bullet molds and sizer should be delivered tomorrow.

What are you using for lube? I've had a few people recommend a mixture something like lithi-bee. I spent this evening going to the store for some beeswax and mixing up some.

I use Red Rooster and Blue Angel in my sizer. I've found a lot of the home made lubes smokes a lot. Think about getting a heater for your sizer so you can use the hot lubes. They work much better than the cold lubes. Lee makes a Tumble lube for it's Tumble Lube bullets that works and long as you keep them slow and low presser.

(Mercer County)

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Lars has some really great lubes, best of all they are cheap. I really like his "BAC"

I am currently using "Speed Green" which is 3 parts Beeswax, 1 part "bullplate" which I got from a guy in Alaska. I'm not sure what bullplate is, but it lets me get 2500 FPS in a 308 with no leading.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Lars has some really great lubes, best of all they are cheap. I really like his "BAC"

I am currently using "Speed Green" which is 3 parts Beeswax, 1 part "bullplate" which I got from a guy in Alaska. I'm not sure what bullplate is, but it lets me get 2500 FPS in a 308 with no leading.
    +1 on the BAC , great stuff , low smoke and shiney bore .
    DAN

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I'm just getting started in casting boolits. I've got a few hundred pounds of wheel weights stockpiled, and some 1lb ingots made. My bullet molds and sizer should be delivered tomorrow.

What are you using for lube? I've had a few people recommend a mixture something like lithi-bee. I spent this evening going to the store for some beeswax and mixing up some.
    I started with Lee Alox, but have bought some Johnson paste wax, since it seems to come highly recommended by the folks at castboolits.com. Took awhile to find a store that had more then just one or two cans in stock.

Just fill up a mason jar with boolits and some JPW and put on the window sill. Wax melts and just roll the jar around to spread it out onto the boolits.
    Last edited by stephpd; April 17th, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Allegheny County)

Is there any issue with "lead" fumes when smelting the ingots or wheel weights? It would seem to be a good idea to use some latex gloves when handling the lead as well? Cool deal on the pie tins!

Later
    Mike
    Careful some of those Zombies could be Americans!

(Allegheny County)

I have cast off and on for about 10 years mainly for muzzloaders but more recently for my 30-30. i can tell you i have noticed no ill effects from lead fumes. i also am a solder technician for the navy for the last 17 years still no inhalation issues from lead fumes. but i digress i usually do most of my casting and smelting outdoors if possible or with a small fan if i am indoors. I hope to be soon casting for my pistol when funds allow it.

Andy
    Andrew Jackson USN (1992-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast