Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Fulton County)

Default Pa ARFCOMER ADs into leg(bullet hole pics)

Originally Posted By cms81586:
    Today I had a very close call. I removed my G19 from it's holster to eat dinner more comfortably. I always check to make sure there is not a round in the chamber as I carry with just the mag in the handgun. Somehow I managed to load a round into the chamber instead. That wouldn't have been a problem but when I was finished eating...i picked up the handgun and swept it across my lap instead of in front of me because my fiance was sitting directly infront of me. I dont' know how this happened next but the pager I carry for the fire department has tall knobs for volume and channel setting. The trigger got pulled somehow by these knobs becuase I'm sure my finger was out of the trigger area since I have a nice mark on it from the slide to prove that. The handgun went off into my thigh and exited about 4" further to the left on the outside of my left thigh. I didn't even realize I was hit at first...not until I felt for blood and had some on my hand. I remained conscious and calm the entire time and had my fiancee call 911 while I applied pressure. The Medics arrived and decided to fly me to Danville. I was taken into the ER, X-rayed, and then cleaned up. The bullet 147gr JHP went through and left fragments but the Doc decided to leave them in. I was in the ER for 6 hrs and released with pain killers and antibiotics and have to return on Friday. Morale of the story...be safe damnit! I was keeping muzzle awareness in mind by not sweeping the weapon past my fiance but in the same token I should have double checked to make sure the weapon was unloaded. I'm going to have to keep off it for a few weeks but it should heal close to 100% in a few months. I've never been shot before but it actually wasn't as bad as I could have imagined. Thinking back on it it scares the shit out of me because someone else could have been hit. Also thank God we decided to eat outside on the back porch so the round did have a safe place to go (cornfield). I'll post pics when I change my dressing tommorrow but only if it's alright with the mods.

CMS

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=48209

if you are memeber here id just like to say that you are a very lucky person and i hope you heal up soon

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Pa ARFCOMER ADs into leg(bullet hole pics)

Wow...that really sucks. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would though. However, I am in no way volunteering for the same wound!
    I own guns!

(Northumberland County)

so much for the "safe action"...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Drew View Post
    so much for the "safe action"...
    um, i think maybe user error had a little more to do with it...

sometimes you just don't get away with simultaneously breaking several rules of safe gun handling regardless of what type of safety the gun has.

(not trying to rub salt in the guy's wounds, but this wasn't the gun's fault.)

(Westmoreland County)

This is also an issue of holster selection. If I had to remove my handgun from its holster to perform typical daily activities in order to be "comfortable", it's time to consider a different holster.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    This is also an issue of holster selection. If I had to remove my handgun from its holster to perform typical daily activities in order to be "comfortable", it's time to consider a different holster.

AMEN!

I also could not help but notice that this guy carries his Glock with a full magazine, but not a round in the chamber.

If he carried it with a round in the chamber, he would have known with 100% certainty that the gun was loaded and ready to rock. By carrying with an empty chamber...did he become a little lazy with regard to safety? He doesn't know how the round got chambered. I know how mine got chambered...I dropped the damn slide on a live round, and treat the gun as "ready" all the time PERIOD.

BTW - I don't buy that the knobs on a scanner pulled the trigger. At least not on a factory trigger. I use the 3.5# connector and I can put a stick or screwdriver in front of the trigger and spin-swing-bounce the weight of the gun WITHOUT having the gun go off. I have done this many times with an EMPTY gun to prove to my Glock hating friends that the Glock trigger is NOT a hair trigger just waiting to go off if you look at it funny.

I don't think we got the entire story. What we did get was a great lesson in firearms safety.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Perfectly put

(Venango County)

NO NO NO!!!!!! Negligent Discharge.......Accidental Discharge is a fallacy! Accidental Discharge would be if the gun went off "By Accident" IE no cause...dang glocks have amind of their own, LOL. This gun went off because the trigger was depressed negligently, Period.

Sorry...Rant over......

BTW....there's no such thing as a Car Accident either, and cars do not "go out of control"...well....ok there are mechanical failures....but very rare!

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

I'm also sorry that he has to endure the pain and humility.

This is negligent discharge. He was not being careful, plain and simple.

Not to completely echo everyones already posted views here, but no round in chamber? WTF? Taking the gun out to eat? WTF? Allowing something to lodge itself in the trigger guard without realizing? WTF? Negligent discharge, check.

Always treat a guns as if there is a round in the chamber is one of the most important rules. This CCWer seemed to have sidestepped the general rule, and suffered. Thankfully it will just be a lesson learned (best by himself).

First let me say that I do hope the poster heals well and quickly.

Sympathy over

It's been said already, and I could not agree more.
    If he needs to carry any weapon Glock or otherwise without one in the chamber
    he either needs training or a can of pepper spray instead. Aside from the fact that an empty chamber is useless, all it did was give him a false sense of security.
    A weapon should never be removed from its holster unless it is to be discharged or immediately emptied and rendered safe. As far as muzzle awareness, apparently not.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast