Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Want to get a 380 for pocket carry....

I have had good results with the LCP. Nice and small, thin, and actually quite comfortable. I went with the Ruger over the Kel Tec because it was recommended by a source who's opinion I value. He said the LCP was more comfortable to shoot than the Kel Tec. After owning the Ruger then shooting the Kel Tec I agree. I don't know if it's the plastic or what but IMO the Ruger feels tamer in my hand.

As far as it's performance I have no complaints. At close ranges (it's intended use) of say 20 feet it's quite accurate despite the lack of "real" sights. I've put a few hundred JHPs through and twice as many FMJs without a single failure yet.

It's going to get a lot of carry time when the weather gets hotter.

I forgot to mention... I also had a Bersa .380 for a while. Definitely not a pocket gun. Just a bit too big and bulky. I had good and bad experiences with it. It was a decent shooter.. and fun to shoot as well. However, mine had constant feeding failures. I traded it in and didn't look back. I have since fired my girlfriend's and have yet to have any issues with hers, and I've always heard good things so I think I just had a dud. I would definitely buy one again for plinking, but not for carry.
    Last edited by USAF385; April 13th, 2010 at 04:37 PM.

I have been seeing lots of Kel Tec P3AT's used at the LGD's for $200.
    Can't beat the price as you hunt for the elusive 380 ammo.

(Schuylkill County)

I’ve been hearing a lot of good about the Diamondback .380…. I’ve been considering one myself.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludichris View Post
    I’ve been hearing a lot of good about the Diamondback .380…. I’ve been considering one myself.
    I was at Classic Pistol the day a Diamondback came apart in the owner's face. He was cut up pretty badly.

(Bucks County)

SIG P238 - very nice.

(Philadelphia County)

I've done the same research and answered the same question...I came up with the Ruger LCP. Very well made, I have 200+ rounds through it without a single malfunction. The recoil is brisk but not too bad. The build quality is what turned me on to it, very clean plastic seams and it just looked and felt better than the Kel Tec. I'm not knocking the KT but it just didn't feel as solid to me as the LCP. The metal seems to be holding up well to lots of handling and pocket carry. There is a bit of wear but it's a carry gun and it does not bother me a bit to have wear on a carry piece. I use a size #2 blackhawk pocket holster and it works well, extremely comfortable and easy to draw. The only thing I don't like is lack of useful sights but that can be countered with the crimson trace laser guard. I tend to point shoot this pistol rather than try and line up the tiny sights. At 7yds it's easy to punch the 8 ring or better. I do not have the crimson trace but I plan on getting it to take the guess work out of nighttime encounters. Good luck with whatever you choose!

(Lehigh County)

I can't speak for the others but I have a P3AT. It jammed 2 times on the first box of ammo and has been flawless ever since with different brands of HP and FMJ (you have to use what you can find). I have a friend who also has one and his jams on the first shot if the magazine is full and the top round in the magazine is a HP. He carries a HP in the chamber then a FMJ as the top round in the mag then five HP. It works every time like that but I'm glad mine works with anything, so far.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by runningfast View Post
    I was at Classic Pistol the day a Diamondback came apart in the owner's face. He was cut up pretty badly.
    I heard about this.

Saying that though, I fired one a few weeks back and the accuracy of the little gun is INCREDIBLE!!

Seriously, absolutely incredible!

The blowing up thing has me worried but I haven't heard any other reports.....

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah, I don't mean to dog the gun. That's the only negative report I've heard. But from the way Bob was talking (and he seems like a very competent guy), he'd done nothing negligent whatsoever to induce the kaboom.

(Somerset County)

The Ruger LCP fits your criteria, but it has it's pros and cons. It's well made and has been flawless through a few hundred rounds for me. The crimson trace fits nicely and has a very natural switch. I find the gun recoil to be overly snappy, which in my opinion, reduces the gun to point blank encounters. I also think the gun is too small and lightweight to be effectively used in self defense situations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast