Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default What is wrong here? Is this Mom guilty ?

http://www.timesleader.com/news/2007...ldren_ART.html

I read this story in disbelief. Am I missing something or did PA suddenly turn into New Jersey?

This story is being played endlessly on local TV , because the mom freaked out when found guilty in court. She is either a hopeless nutcase or someone who is being punished for her views. She definitely was not contrite enough when called to the school. The boy has already been punished, why the need to publicly stone the mother.

There are so many untruths in the article, it looks like it was written by Josh Sugerman.

"Richards, though, said the gun was registered to Linnea Holdren, and she had a responsibility to secure it."
    “It is mandatory that a parent, a gunowner, secure their weapon,” Richards testified. “That’s mandatory.”

Maybe it's just me but is there a registry in PA? , Must my guns absolutely be locked up at all times? Honestly how does this garbage make it into the news.

Sounds to me like if she had said "I'm sorry", and took the gun lock, all would be fine today.

I like the way she was mis-quoted to make that sensational title.
    I also like the way the Times/Leader has no policy against releasing juvenile court records when it involves a gun or a sensational story.

I really would like to hear the full true story.
    Ruger P345 (45ACP)
    Colt Trooper (.357 Mag)
    CZ 40 P (40S&W)
    CZ 100 (9 MM)
    TZ 75 (9MM)
    Bersa Thunder 380 (.380)
    Ruger Mark II (.22)
    Heritage Arms Rough Rider (.22)
    (2)Phoenix Arms HP22 (.22)

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: What is wrong here? Is this Mom guilty ?

I have to say it sounds like she should get some kind of punishment.

She gave the kid a gun and lets him do what ever he wants with it. I'm sorry that isn't right and as a parent you are responsible for everything your kid does.

(Montgomery County)

You're not resonsible for everythig your kid does. Not legally at least.

Am I missing something, where does it sa she was found guilty?

What was the charge?

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    I have to say it sounds like she should get some kind of punishment.

She gave the kid a gun and lets him do what ever he wants with it. I'm sorry that isn't right and as a parent you are responsible for everything your kid does.
    I agree, you have a right to not let your 11y/o have a gun on his own terms, was it great she let him shoot under her supervision and such? of course that'd been a good way to start a school day but at 11 you dont know everything, you rely on your parents to help you threw life at that age, she should have walked to the holding place with him, watched him do a safety check, and lock it up..

but I dont know what she could be charged with, if there is a law about having guns locked near kids i've never seen it.. But I lock my guns if my nephew is going to be coming over or something like that he's a curious little bugger and loves guns.. I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.. I just couldn't imagine giving a kid that age free reign of a firearm

(Snyder County)

I think its weird that the mom didn't check to make sure the gun was put away correctly. And I agree that the kid should not have took it to school. But is it the mom's responsibility to lock up all the kitchen knives so he doesn't take them to school (which is against school policy as well). I don't think so.

I don't think she can be charged for what she should have done in respect to the gun, as in not locking it up. But I think she could be charged with endangering the welfare of minors by carelessly not having the gun locked up.

I don't know...kinda stuck on this one too.

(Cumberland County)

My thing is I feel parents are responsible for what their kids do. She should be charged the same way as if the kid brought a knife to school or drugs or broke some other serious rule.

Kids are underage and therefore not responsible so who is responsible before they become adaults?

If the Mom gave the kid the gun and bullets, which she admits, and didn't do anything else then I think she should be charged with some kind of endangerment or something. Now if the gun was at home and reasonably out of reach or the mom says she doesn't know how he got it, that is a bit different. This appears intentional.

Hey why don't I give me 8 year old neice a 12 gauge to take to school with her??

Edit: I think to better explain what I mean. I feel that we are responsible to raise our kids to be good members of society and to follow laws. So yes I think the mom is responsible for her 11 yr old making a bad choice. I don't know what the punishment should be, perhaps just a warning which could lead to a fine or something. Too many parents don't want to parents and we end up with schools full of kids with no respect.

On the same topic I had a shotgun in my car in high school, it was not a big deal. I don't really think the kid having it is that much of a problem, it should have have been loaded though.
    Last edited by brewguy; September 20th, 2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: new thought..

(Montgomery County)

She cannot be chaged if her kid brought a knife to school or drugs or flew a plane into the twin towers... Where did you come up with that?

(Lebanon County)

Richards, though, said the gun was registered to Linnea Holdren, and she had a responsibility to secure it.
    Does that mean that this is worthless, or maybe just misunderstood.

§6111.4. Registration of Firearms.

Notwithstanding any section of this chapter to the contrary, nothing in this chapter shall be construed to allow any government or law enforcement agency or any agent thereof to create, maintain or operate any registry of firearm ownership within this Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section only, the term “firearm” shall include any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    She cannot be chaged if her kid brought a knife to school or drugs or flew a plane into the twin towers... Where did you come up with that?
    So do you feel parents have any responsibility for the actions of their kids?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Does that mean that this is worthless, or maybe just misunderstood.
    That is worthless, the PA court said it is fine. They call it a Database.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast