Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I think the ruger 357 is the right choice

after asking around and personal preference I think i know which gun to buy.
    i was thinking about buying a s&w model 29 and then a 1911, i even thought about a glock .40 and i liked them all but...

i thought a .44 magnum was too expensive for ammo and knew i wanted a revolver.

THEN i came across the Ruger vaquero in 357 magnum with a 5.5" barrel and i fell in love. i love the fact thats its like an old cowboy action and i feel that a 357 magnum is enough power to stop a boar, gator, and any two leg predators.

PLUS i can always practice with the cheaper 38 special ammo... and i think i heard that they make snake shot or something. do they?

my only grievance is that it doesnt have wooden handles but otherwise i love it.

what do you guys think? this gun is going with me when i go hunting, fishing, plinking away, and home defense.
    Think like a man of action, Act like a man of thought

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: I think the ruger 357 is the right choice

Quote Originally Posted by irishpilot View Post
    after asking around and personal preference I think i know which gun to buy.
    i was thinking about buying a s&w model 29 and then a 1911, i even thought about a glock .40 and i liked them all but...

i thought a .44 magnum was too expensive for ammo and knew i wanted a revolver.

THEN i came across the Ruger vaquero in 357 magnum with a 5.5" barrel and i fell in love. i love the fact thats its like an old cowboy action and i feel that a 357 magnum is enough power to stop a boar, gator, and any two leg predators.

PLUS i can always practice with the cheaper 38 special ammo... and i think i heard that they make snake shot or something. do they?

my only grievance is that it doesnt have wooden handles but otherwise i love it.

what do you guys think? this gun is going with me when i go hunting, fishing, plinking away, and home defense.
    I would not choose a SA revolver for personal defense. GP100 would be my choice in a (non-concealed) Ruger .357 - or a used 6" Security-Six if you really want something a little closer to the Vaquero in conformation. Admittedly, they do not have the same pizazz though.

In general it is very hard to go wrong with a Ruger revolver.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

The factory plastic on Ruger SAs is easily replaced, so don't let that deter you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    The factory plastic on Ruger SAs is easily replaced, so don't let that deter you.

wow those look great! how much do wooden grips run.
    Think like a man of action, Act like a man of thought

I have had great luck with every Ruger revolver I have ever had. Good choice!
    Jules

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: I think the ruger 357 is the right choice

Can't go wrong with a Ruger........ I've got 2 Blackhawks in 357 magnum and a Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum. Love them! They are a blast shoot and very accurate.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Lancaster County)

Great, solid revolver. You will love it. Many people will tell you that a sa revolver is no good for HD. Bullshit. Practice and familiarization, as with any gun, is all you need.

Nice guns.... My CA gun is in 45lc

Have a SP 101 in .357 and really like it now I changed the grips to a Hogue mono, much better than the standard one
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Allegheny County)

While I think single action revolvers are dead nuts sexy... I wouldn't want to use one for home defense. Why go with a slow,hard to use, 5 shot gun, when for the same money you can go with a basic AR15 for home defense? If you must have a handgun, why not a more modern double action or a much higher capacity pistol?

(Centre County)

I don't see any problem with someone wanting to use a Ruger SA (a full 6 shots because of the safety features) as a HD gun. Easy to use, thumb the hammer back, pull the trigger, bang. You also have a free hand to manipulate a flashlight.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast