Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Trying to decide on a carry piece

So I went to the splitrock gun show Sunday and stayed almost to the end,, which was great. It cleared out some and much less crowded. I handled lots of guns I was looking at via the web and after actually holding some I've decided that the single stack autos are more my liking,, the wide grip of the xd9 and the beretta storm and the one glock(don't remember the#) seem hard to hold,, or just didn't feel comfy,, being static,, would think it be worst firing it. I liked the thinner grips of the 45's and smaller pocket guns. I went in looking for a keltec pf9 and saw several,, they feel nice grip wise,, but a little cheap. They have decent reviews,, but still kinda feel odd. Checked out the Taurus and ruger and for some reason I keep going back to the 45's. It's what I learned to shoot with some 30+ years ago,, I haven't had a handgun in 15 years and never carried. I recently got my ccw so I'm legal.. The one .45 I had my eye on was the RIA compact GI,, $400,, it's entry level as far as 45's go but is this a good choice for ccw?? Or a tad heavy. I'm leaning towards the 45 and a small 9 or 380 for summer.
    Sorry it's long.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Trying to decide on a carry piece

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    So I went to the splitrock gun show Sunday and stayed almost to the end,, which was great. It cleared out some and much less crowded. I handled lots of guns I was looking at via the web and after actually holding some I've decided that the single stack autos are more my liking,, the wide grip of the xd9 and the beretta storm and the one glock(don't remember the#) seem hard to hold,, or just didn't feel comfy,, being static,, would think it be worst firing it. I liked the thinner grips of the 45's and smaller pocket guns. I went in looking for a keltec pf9 and saw several,, they feel nice grip wise,, but a little cheap. They have decent reviews,, but still kinda feel odd. Checked out the Taurus and ruger and for some reason I keep going back to the 45's. It's what I learned to shoot with some 30+ years ago,, I haven't had a handgun in 15 years and never carried. I recently got my ccw so I'm legal.. The one .45 I had my eye on was the RIA compact GI,, $400,, it's entry level as far as 45's go but is this a good choice for ccw?? Or a tad heavy. I'm leaning towards the 45 and a small 9 or 380 for summer.
    Sorry it's long.
    You like .45's and slim guns. I like Glocks.

So, my recommendation would be the Glock 36.

GLOCK 36

Slim & powerful

Six rounds of .45 AUTO. . ... in a package that
    fits into the hands of any user.
    With the new GLOCK SLIMLINE™ we present
    grip ergonomics of the next dimension.
    By using a single-stack magazine, the GLOCK 36 measures only 28.5mm/1.13 in. in width. Together with the secure-grip design, this makes handling the pistol very easy.

**Side note. you did not get a "CCW". No such thing in PA. It is called a Licence To Carry Firearms (LTCF for short).
    Last edited by biggs88; April 12th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

(Bucks County)

Not to pick on you, but its a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF). It is NOT the same thing as a permit, and it is not just for concealing firearms.

Go for what feels good in your hand, and what is comfortable to carry. If its not comfortable in your hand, or just doesn't feel right, then don't even consider it. Some people can get away with a full size 1911, but for most people that is way to huge and heavy. Also consider your only getting 7 rounds for all that weight. Any decent gun store will let you "test fit" a gun in a holster, and walk around the store. Like you're trying on shoes. I found that a Glock 19 is the perfect compromise of weight, size, and firepower for everyday carry.....for me. You said you didn't like glocks so go with something that works for you, shoot a couple hundred rounds through the gun so you know it's reliable and your good to go.

(Luzerne County)

Over the years I have brought home many guns that was to be my next carry gun. For one reason or another I find myself sticking with my Kimber ultra carry which happens to be a single stack 45. I am currently paying on a full size Kimber. Will this one be carried?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Carbon County)

You know I know it's not ccw but out of habit I call it that.. Seams more are familiar with that term then LTCF. It's also shorter to type on the phone. I'll check out the slim glock. I have a friend who has a rather large collection of glocks. I'll see if he can bring some up to take out to the range. I still have this feeling I'm going to need to buy two,,,, one carry and a fulsize for the house. I'm trying to stay under the $500 mark as money is tight.. When the wife gets a job it will be better,, but she has been on disability 2 years+ and just got cut off. I'm going to hit some more shops.
    Thanks,,

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    holding some I've decided that the single stack autos are more my liking,,

for some reason I keep going back to the 45's. It's what I learned to shoot with some 30+ years ago,,

I'm leaning towards the 45 and a small 9 or 380 for summer.

It sounds like you're really comfortable with the single stack .45. Instead of getting 2 guns as you mention above, have a look at getting one of the smaller 1911's such as a Commander (same grip size as Gov't with a shorter Barrel/slide/dust cover) or Officers model. They may be a decent option for you as a general purpose piece then you can see what you like/dislike and expand from there.

(Erie County)

If you like the 45ACP, I have to suggest that you look at the Sig Sauer P220 Carry, or the P220 Compact. You won't find a more reliable carry gun.

If you want something very slim in a .45, check out Kahr:
    http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_45acp.html

(Franklin County)

I've got four 45's and usually carry the Taurus 945. But I'm a big guy and concealing it is a little easier for me. I purchased a holster with a lining last week and may start to carry my Dan Wesson 1911. It's all about what you like and what feel good to you.

(Northumberland County)

check out an Ruger SR9C they wont break the bank and you can carry more bullets then a .45 and it will hit as hard as a .45 with Cor Bon 125 gr +p ammo (9mm) .

(Montgomery County)

I've moved up to a full size 1911 for EDC, and as you'll hear around here it's key to have a decent holster and a really good (i.e., stiff) belt.

Hey, a stiff belt . . . get it?

Sorry. Anyhow, search in the Concealed Carry forum (or Google away) and you'll find plenty of good recommendations for both. I hardly notice having the 1911 on with the right stuff.

Good luck.

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast