Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Suppressor question

This may be dumb, but I'll ask anyway before I go diving into the endless masses of the internet for my answer.... Is there a type of silencer that will work for multiple calibers? As in a 22LR and a 9mm? Other than the soda bottle or the potato (not even sure a potato would silence a weapon) ...but you know what I mean.

A standard, reusable suppressor.

Also, do suppressors have an extended life to them? I imagine they would by the ones I've seen. They seem to have a nice billet aluminum tube with solid billet baffles cut out for inserts. Seems like reliable stuff.

I'm asking because I'm still awaiting income taxes and the FEDs are actually GIVING me money back....so now I plan on giving it right back to them in the form of a NFA stamp maybe...depending on how much I like what I hear.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Suppressor question

Not really for multi-caliber suppressors. I'm sure you can find one that will fit on both barrels but the bore would have to be for the largest caliber you intend to use. Using any smaller calibers would allow gases to blow by thus lessening the muffling effect.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

You can get one can to work on .22lr, 5.56 and 5.45 (I believe).

It's really about the bullet. A can for 7.62x51 (.308) should work on 7.62x39

I couldn't imagine a 9mm can working that well with .22. There would be too much gas escaping.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Bucks County)

The SWR Spectre works for 17hmr, 22cal and 5.7x28mm. But that's just because they are all similar sizes. You're best bet is to only use a suppressor for its intended caliber. Doing otherwise is risky and can void the warrenty.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    You can get one can to work on .22lr, 5.56 and 5.45 (I believe).

It's really about the bullet. A can for 7.62x51 (.308) should work on 7.62x39

I couldn't imagine a 9mm can working that well with .22. There would be too much gas escaping.
    A lot of people avoid using their larger caliber cans on a .22lr due to the lead build up from rimfire ammo.

(Armstrong County)

Unless you get a can that can be disassembled by the end user, say a 9mm, i would not shoot 22LR through it.
    22LR rounds will deposit lead on the baffles inside the suppressor. So taking apoart the can and some type of media blasting, chemical solvent, elbow grease is required to remove the deposits after time.

One option for a multi-caliber can is a 30cal. Many guys use them as a 30cal/223cal suppressor with neglegible difference in sound. Some even state less blow-back on an AR type weapon. This will prob be one of my next stamps.
    From what i have been told and have read, a centerfire can really does not need cleaned due to the higher pressures from the round, but i would still would not shoot 22LR through one unless the manufacture is willing to warrenty/clean it for you.

thanks guys