Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default 1911 Thumb Safety

Bought my first 1911 a year or so ago, and have had minor issue of thumb safety engaging after every few rounds. I thought it was just because it was an older gun that I bought used, and maybe had a problem. I just picked up a new Rock Island a few months ago, and same exact thing, every few rounds the thumb safety pops up and engages. I am guessing it is just my thumb that is hitting it when shooting and forcing it up - but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had any other thoughts. I have had to hold my thumb on top of the extended thumb safety I put on the pistol so it doesn't engage on me when shooting - but not a great way to grip and shoot. Thanks !

(Centre County)

Default Re: 1911 Thumb Safety

First of all, I am a mere amateur when it comes to shooting. That said, with a right handed grip, my right thumb rides on top of the thumb safety when shooting my 1911. Thats the way that feels most comfortable and offers the best shooting grip. My left hand thumb kinda rides underneath my right too.

I dont know if that helps at all, but that sounds like how you described how you had to hold the pistol to keep the safety from being bumped into place and you said it doesnt seem like a great way to hold and shoot. But thats how I do it and it works well for me.

good luck

(Allegheny County)

when shooting a 1911 you should ride the thumb safety.

your thumb should always be on top of it, except for the moment it goes under to flip it back up, and then right back on top.

Not only does riding the safety stop you from knocking it up during recoil (which is what is happening) but it also allows you to get a higher grip on the gun and thus a higher point of contol in relation to the bore axis.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks guys, looks like my riding the safety with my thumb out of necessity is actually a prefered way to grip a 1911 ! I googled it after your comments, and it looks like many 1911 lovers have said just what you said - ride the safety - some of the younger guns have said use a normal grip. From my personal experience and your comments, looks like my riding the safety isn't too wierd after all - and the extended saftey makes it easier !

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    ... the extended thumb safety I put on the pistol ....

Who put the replacement part on? Someone that absolutely knew what they're doing? It's definitely properly fitted?

I tend to ride on top of the thumb safety of mine too. Though I have never had a problem leaving it below either.

(York County)

i always ride the thumb safety when shooting a 1911. It just feels comfy to me.

(Lawrence County)

I ride the safety.....

That being said....you can take a drill bit or needle file and deepen the divot in the front of the thumb safety where the safety lock plunger engages the safety. This will increase the pressure necessary to engage the safety.

Go easy.

LycanalittlegoesaLONGwaythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I ride the safety.....

That being said....you can take a drill bit or needle file and deepen the divot in the front of the thumb safety where the safety lock plunger engages the safety. This will increase the pressure necessary to engage the safety.

Go easy.

LycanalittlegoesaLONGwaythrope
    I was thinking this same thing.

Sid

(Lawrence County)

Well, there ARE some kick-ass shooters that shoot "low-hand". Brian Enos being one of them.

Lycanjustsayin'thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Centre County)

I had exact same issue with my DW CBOB.
    My thumbsafety would be pushed up just enough from web of my hand that the safety would engage while shooting. And I do not shoot my 1911 with thumb riding up on safety(tried, and found that the its VERY uncomfortable for me)
    What it was that detent hole where safety detent would go was not lined up with detent.

Not wanting to send the gun back, and wait for it for however long it takes to get it fixed, I drilled the hole where it needed to be, but unfortunatly, I drilled it too deep, that after I did that, now safety was stuck on off position.

So I gave up and bought EB narrow tactical safety, and now automatic safety is thing of past.
    Safety will now engage, and disengage with positive "click", and will not move on its own, unless I push it.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere