Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Union County)

Default Anybody ever carry in Northumberland courthouse

I was just curious as to if any one has ever carried and checked a gun in at the courthouse in Sunbury? I was recently there, I was not carrying a handgun as I was in ACU's (I'm Active Nat. Guard) and we are not allowed to carry while in uniform (as far as I know). Any way I did check in my pocketknife, a "dangerous, 1 1/2 inch killer tool to be sure". There was a older guard sitting beside the safe where they placed my knife. When he saw the knife he shook his head and starting muttering about stupid army guys not knowing the regs...and so forth and so on. I was wandering how he would react if someone would want to check in a handgun. I was not on my own time so I did not comment or anything but, I would like to know if anyone has checked a handgun in there?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Anybody ever carry in Northumberland courthouse

I imagine he muttered what he did because your knife probably was not something they'd normally check.

Don't stress it - hopefully someone will have something helpful to say, but just keep your chin up and tell the closest officer to you at their security checkpoint, "Sir/Ma'am, I need to check my firearm." The direct and professional approach works best with those folks.
    Junior

(Union County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I imagine he muttered what he did because your knife probably was not something they'd normally check.

Don't stress it - hopefully someone will have something helpful to say, but just keep your chin up and tell the closest officer to you at their security checkpoint, "Sir/Ma'am, I need to check my firearm." The direct and professional approach works best with those folks.
    yeah, I know its not a big deal. I actually just placed it in the basket along with all the contents in my pockets, and they picked it out and put it in the safe and gave me a number...Thanks though, and I'll keep my chin up :-)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poacher View Post
    yeah, I know its not a big deal. I actually just placed it in the basket along with all the contents in my pockets, and they picked it out and put it in the safe and gave me a number...Thanks though, and I'll keep my chin up :-)
    NO!

Do not ever do this again! You're allowing a (likely) untrained person who (way more likely) has ZERO experience with your particular gun to handle it without you clearing it first. Also, you're forcing them to pick up the weapon from an awkward position where it's surrounded by all your other shit (and if you're anything like m, you carry a lot of accessories on you). NEVER EVER EVER DO THAT.

My recommendation - keep your weapon secured and holstered until they lead you to the locker, where YOU unholster it and lay it INSIDE the locker, then lock it with the key they give you. DO NOT let anyone else touch your weapon under any circumstances (save for when being detained by a LEO). Don't remove the magazine, don't unchamber the round, just place it in the provided locker yourself. If they insist you empty it, ask where their clearing station is. If they don't have one, point it in a safe direction while you CAREFULLY remove the ammunition from the weapon and DO NOT point it anywhere but that safe direction until it's on it's way into the locker via your hand.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; April 6th, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
    Junior

(Allegheny County)

NO!

Do not ever do this again! You're allowing a (likely) untrained person who (way more likely) has ZERO experience with your particular gun to handle it without you clearing it first.
    Um... dude... what are you smoking. He's talking about a knife - just like you acknowledged in the previous post

(Lehigh County)

NO!
    YES! (10 characters)

(Allegheny County)

NO!

My recommendation - keep your weapon secured and holstered until they lead you to the locker, where YOU unholster it and lay it INSIDE the locker, then lock it with the key they give you. DO NOT let anyone else touch your weapon under any circumstances (save for when being detained by a LEO). Don't remove the magazine, don't unchamber the round, just place it in the provided locker yourself. If they insist you empty it, ask where their clearing station is. If they don't have one, point it in a safe direction while you CAREFULLY remove the ammunition from the weapon and DO NOT point it anywhere but that safe direction until it's on it's way into the locker via your hand.
    Well even if this had been a gun he was talking about - you're being over emphatic and offering incorrect advice in my opinion.

LEAVE THE GUN IN THE HOLSTER - no need to take it out of the holster. Remove the HOLSTER AND THE GUN AS ONE UNIT.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Delaware County)

Oh. I meant his gun. My bad - it was late for me last night, lol.

It still applies to the gun though.
    Junior

(Northumberland County)

I carry in there all the time... although I work for the Court, so they dont make me take my firearm off.

There are a few old guys that work the front door of the building... if you ever have an issue, the Sheriff's Office is right there. Just ask to speak to Chad Reiner - he's a good guy and will most likely gladly hold your pistol for you.

If not, shoot me a PM before you go over and I will gladly help you out.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Union County)

Cool, Hey thanks all, for the info. Mikepro8, glad to have a contact. I'm not PO'd at the old feller but, I did want to know if there would be any trouble. And, ViperGTS19801 I'll never, never let anyone touch my pocketknife again:-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast