Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh Zoo firearms policy?

Quote Originally Posted by bpgood1 View Post
    Your life = your business but your "policy" is illegal if you carry on private property that prohibits guns
    I agree with you but when I posted ITT last year I heard of people carrying at the zoo and didn't remember any signs the past years so I carried when we went. Upon entering the zoo I didn't see any signs whatsoever and they don't "wand" you. Between last year and this year I heard in passing that there was a 'no weapons policy' but didn't give it a whole lot of thought and carried there again this year. I don't see how I'm breaking the law if their rules aren't made abundantly clear with a gun buster sign in your face. I mean, who the heck reads the rules and regs for these places?

How are you supposed to know you are tresspassing if it isn't posted? If a private property owner doesn't want people carrying guns on their property, they need to clearly post it at all entrances to inform people. If it's not posted, then it can be reasonably assumed that the property owner has no problem with law abiding citizens legally carrying firearms.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    How are you supposed to know you are tresspassing if it isn't posted? If a private property owner doesn't want people carrying guns on their property, they need to clearly post it at all entrances to inform people. If it's not posted, then it can be reasonably assumed that the property owner has no problem with law abiding citizens legally carrying firearms.
    You are correct. If you are CC then I doubt you would run into any issue. But if you OC im sure someone will come along and tell you what the policy is if any, or one might just be made up on the spot.

Even if there is not a documented policy, an agent of the property telling you to leave holds the force of trespassing law. Failure to leave is after being instructed to do so is a higher grade of trespassing than even ignoring a sign and leaving when asked.

18 Pa.C.S. § 3503: Criminal trespass
    (b) Defiant trespasser.--
    (1) A person commits an offense if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place as to which notice against trespass is given by:
    (i) actual communication to the actor;
    (ii) posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;
    (iii) fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders;
    (iv) notices posted in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the person's attention at each entrance of school grounds that visitors are prohibited without authorization from a designated school, center or program official; or
    (v) an actual communication to the actor to leave school grounds as communicated by a school, center or program official, employee or agent or a law enforcement officer.
    (2) Except as provided in paragraph (1)(v), an offense under this subsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the third degree if the offender defies an order to leave personally communicated to him by the owner of the premises or other authorized person. An offense under paragraph (1)(v) constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree. Otherwise it is a summary offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by jiminpa49 View Post
    Go to the menu on the Pittsburgh Zoo's website and scroll down there is a no weapon policy there. I don't agree with it however the question was asked and that's where you can find the answer.

http://www.pittsburghzoo.org/PlanYourVisit/ZooPolicies
    I don't go out of my way to see where I can carry. That is the responsibility of the business owner. I did not click that link and have not seen any signs at the park itself.

I have heard the theory that some places do not post, because the act of posting a sign can lead people to think there is a problem with firearms at that location that needs to be addressed by the sign.
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 25th, 2014 at 10:52 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Westmoreland County)

Anymore Pittsburgh is getting more areas like that.

Quote Originally Posted by inspector710 View Post
    I, too, have carried there several times. It is not in a great area of Pittsburgh.

(Allegheny County)

No posted signs concerning firearms and no security checkpoint as of 7/14/21.

(York County)

Thou shalt not necto-post!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsBarking View Post
    I'd say this Necro is acceptable since it's an update on something that could have changed in the last 7 years.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I'd say this Necro is acceptable since it's an update on something that could have changed in the last 7 years.
    Plus I think the giraffes are strapped now because of some domestic issues with the lions. So it just makes sense to discuss carrying there now.

A lot has changed in the last 7 years and you don't want to find yourself in the darkness of the penguin enclosure not knowing what those little flightless birds might do.

(I'll let myself out....)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Yes, this.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456