Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh Zoo firearms policy?

I was going to make a joke about the PA Sportsman's Firearm Permit , but then I thought of the children...

(Venango County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh Zoo firearms policy? its a no go

Well wanted to confirm and its a no go right from the public relations director, here is the response.

Mr. Lepley:

Thank you for your question regarding our Firearms Policy here at the Zoo. We appreciate that you checked with us. The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium has a No Firearms Policy, which is posted at the front admission gates to alert our visitors to this policy. Also, our policy is consistent with Highland Park (where the Zoo is located) which also has a no firearms property. As a family-oriented institution, we don’t permit guns for the safety of our visitors, our employees, and of course our animals.

Thank you again for checking and enjoy your visit to the Pittsburgh Zoo. This Saturday, September 3, we are holding a Steelers Pep Rally and Steelers Brett Keisel and Heath Miller will be on hand fun! It will be lots of fun!

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me.

Tracy

Tracy Gray Public Relations Manager One Wild Place Pittsburgh, PA 15206-1178 412-365-2538 fax 412-665-3661 Email tgray@pittsburghzoo.org

(Allegheny County)

Who owns the zoo?

Highland Park (as in the municipal park) is maintained by the Parks Conservancy, but it doesn't look like it's owned by them from their website.

The zoo does look like it's privately owned by a non-profit, but I'm not so sure that the entirety of Highland Park can ban firearms... any more than any other city or municipal park can.

Default Re: Pittsburgh Zoo firearms policy? its a no go

Quote Originally Posted by allen16323 View Post
    Well wanted to confirm and its a no go right from the public relations director, here is the response.

Mr. Lepley:

Thank you for your question regarding our Firearms Policy here at the Zoo. We appreciate that you checked with us. The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium has a No Firearms Policy, which is posted at the front admission gates to alert our visitors to this policy. Also, our policy is consistent with Highland Park (where the Zoo is located) which also has a no firearms property. As a family-oriented institution, we don’t permit guns for the safety of our visitors, our employees, and of course our animals.

Thank you again for checking and enjoy your visit to the Pittsburgh Zoo. This Saturday, September 3, we are holding a Steelers Pep Rally and Steelers Brett Keisel and Heath Miller will be on hand fun! It will be lots of fun!

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me.

Tracy

Tracy Gray Public Relations Manager One Wild Place Pittsburgh, PA 15206-1178 412-365-2538 fax 412-665-3661 Email tgray@pittsburghzoo.org
    Why would you even ask? Everyone says it's not posted so I don't see why you felt the need to ask. Did you ask them if you're allowed to breathe inside the park as well?
    Last edited by zackattack784; August 30th, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Venango County)

Unhappy Re: Pittsburgh Zoo firearms policy? its a no go

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Why would you even ask? Everyone says it's not posted so I don't see why you felt the need to ask. Did you ask them if you're allowed to breathe inside the park as well?
    Well idont spend my money or want to drive 2 hours to be turned away at the gate, to me the "lgnorance is bliss" logic is for the weak minded. As for not being posted aparently the posters missed that, it is posted at the gate. Knowledge is power I have this knowledge now, I asked because should I fail too see the posting I could be arrested on sight for tresspassing with no warning, being the sign is telling I am breaking the policies set by the property owner. That being said the location of the zoo is not one I don't want to go and be out gun by the natives and by not allowing theguest the means of protecting themselves the zoo opens its self to legal issues should an incident occur on the property.

Now seeing you are near liberal filthadelphia you probably live by the ignorance is bliss flavored koolaid mentality!!!!
    Last edited by allen16323; August 30th, 2011 at 04:35 PM.

(Beaver County)

Bringing this one back up since I'm heading there tomorrow and this was the first topic that came up after a search of "Pittsbugh zoo".

I've only been in this area since Oct and am unfamiliar with most areas outside of Beaver county and southern Allegheny county. I hear the zoo is not in the best part of town, is this true? Do they have some kind of security and / or metal detectors to go through?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by heili View Post
    Who owns the zoo?

Highland Park (as in the municipal park) is maintained by the Parks Conservancy, but it doesn't look like it's owned by them from their website.

The zoo does look like it's privately owned by a non-profit, but I'm not so sure that the entirety of Highland Park can ban firearms... any more than any other city or municipal park can.
    In January of 1994, the Pittsburgh Zoo became a private non-profit organization, owned and operated by the Zoological Society of Pittsburgh. The transition from a city-run public zoo to a private institution has been a major reason for the Zoo's successes.

http://www.pittsburghzoo.com/AboutUs/ZooHistory
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BigFellor View Post
    Bringing this one back up since I'm heading there tomorrow and this was the first topic that came up after a search of "Pittsbugh zoo".

I've only been in this area since Oct and am unfamiliar with most areas outside of Beaver county and southern Allegheny county. I hear the zoo is not in the best part of town, is this true? Do they have some kind of security and / or metal detectors to go through?
    It's not really "in" a bad part of town, but there are areas not far from there that aren't the most desirable.
    You can leave the kevlar at home. Enjoy.

Should be a nice day tomorrow. Better than mid-summer when it's hot and the animals are hiding in the shade to stay cool.

No metal detectors that I can recall.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cambria County)

I went a year ago and saw no signs anywhere I just kept it out or sight.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bungiex88 View Post
    I went a year ago and saw no signs anywhere I just kept it out or sight.
    I CCed last year. No signs or security checkpoints.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast