Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Explanation of Pennsylvania Gun Records

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Don't you have the receipt from the gun shop?
    You're right, I do have the receipt and it does have the serial number of the lower receiver on it. I just didn't realize that was the legitimatizing document.

Thanks for clarifying the uses of form 4473 - I appreciate it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 6.8Shooter View Post
    You're right, I do have the receipt and it does have the serial number of the lower receiver on it. I just didn't realize that was the legitimatizing document.
    Yeah, that's a bill of sale. It shows transfer of title from one entity to another. You should get one when you buy dogs, horses, cars or even groceries.

Fortunately, we live in a state that doesn't require a lot of record keeping for guns.

PA does have gun registration at the time of purchase, despite the fact that it is illegal. They get around it by exempting certain types of gun transfers from the registration requirement (like parent-child, between spouses, etc), but for all intents and purposes, PA does indeed have gun registration. The corrupt PA Supreme Court has said that the exemption makes it something other than a registry for the purpose of enforcing the "no registry" law.

In fact, even though spouse to spouse transfers are exempt from registration, if your spouse is found to be carrying a handgun that you purchased, it is almost certain the police with confiscate that firearm anyway.

PA likes to create the illusion of liberty where none exists by creating obvious conflicts between State and Local government, and by creating A380 sized loopholes in the law to allow for rampant tyranny. For example, PA Law says that the Sheriff MUST issue you an LTCF within 45 days unless s/he can find good cause to deny you - but a "good cause" can be something as simple as "they don't like you."

State Law says that it is illegal for local governments to regulate the lawful possession of firearms in any way, but you will never ever see the State enforce that law. The result is that you'll see "no firearms" rules at most locally-managed parks and recreation areas.

The Sheriff of Montgomery County has even declared that carrying a firearm in Montgomery County Parks, a perfectly legal activity, will result in the loss of your carry permit.

So, don't go partying just yet. PA is NOT a gun-friendly state by any means, and has a LONG way to go before it can be called one.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    So, don't go partying just yet. PA is NOT a gun-friendly state by any means, and has a LONG way to go before it can be called one.
    I disagree. It's not that PA isn't gun friendly, it's that we have corruption in law enforcement. If law enforcement would follow the law, the state would be one of the most gun friendly states.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12