Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Two local bank stories

Just found these encounters a little amusing & thought I'd share:

I was in a bank in Harrisburg yesterday when a young woman came in & got in line behind me. The bank was very busy so there was a greeter at the door to help move things along...
    Greeter: Hi welcome to xyz bank, do you need a deposit or withdrawal slip today?

young woman: No, I just need to cash this check.

greeter: Do you have an account with us?

YW: no

greeter: OK, you'll just need two forms of ID.

YW: I have my ID & my gun license.

greeter: ok that'll be fine.

The greeter didn't bat an eye, no one hit the ground or ran screaming, no one called in the swat team or anything! & the best part... young woman actually called it a license instead of a permit!

I smiled to myself & life went on.

While I'm posting this, I might as well mention something that happened about a month ago too:

I was in a bank getting loan rate info to refinance the little bit that is left on the mortgage.
    this bank had a double door with a contraption of some sort that resembles a metal detector in the middle.

As I'm sitting there an older guy & a woman get locked in the middle & can't enter the bank easily.

the bank employee tells me that the second door will unlock when the first one closes.
    He goes on to tell me that it forces people to come in one at a time which keeps a group of people from rushing in to rob the bank.

He then adds, If the metal detector goes off then the doors lock as well.

I just smiled & thought to myself... first of all.. there are two people entering at the same time at this very moment so your one at a time thing is obviously flawed...
    Secondly, either that is a fake detector or it's not powered up because I just came in with a big chunk of stainless steel filled with brass & copperwashed lead on my hip & the guy after me was pushing a hand truck with four or five boxes full of coins!

So I wonder if he was totally BSing me about the "metal detector"... or if the bank has him BS'd.
    Last edited by 87th PVI; April 4th, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

Default Re: Two local bank stories

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post

I was in a bank in Harrisburg yesterday when a young woman came in & got in line behind me. The bank was very busy so there was a greeter at the door to help move things along...
    Greeter: Hi welcome to xyz bank, do you need a deposit or withdrawal slip today?

The greeter didn't bat an eye, no one hit the ground or ran screaming, no one called in the swat team or anything! & the best part... young woman actually called it a license instead of a permit!

i was at a local bank near Hellam and i needed 2 forms of ID gave them my DL and LTCF, we got into a nice little conversation about CC and OC and how he owns a few guns but never really got into CC or OC, ended up referring him to the site and went back and handed him a flyer for him to check out.

(Luzerne County)

So I wonder if he was totally BSing me about the "metal detector"... or if the bank has him BS'd.
    Imagine little old ladies with metal walkers setting it off and being trapped between the doors.

(Indiana County)

I go into my bank OCing and nobody bats an eyelash, plus they address me by name.

Out here in the friendly part of the state a "greeter" would be the person exiting the bank as you enter.

The double doors are called a Man Trap. And it allows a bank robber to exit the branch and be locked between the two doors, made of bullet proof glass and wait for the police to arrive. During the wait the teller and customer are incouraged to bang on the glass, point and laugh.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JordonC2 View Post
    The double doors are called a Man Trap. And it allows a bank robber to exit the branch and be locked between the two doors, made of bullet proof glass and wait for the police to arrive. During the wait the teller and customer are incouraged to bang on the glass, point and laugh.
    Beat me to it, +rep

(Bucks County)

& the best part... young woman actually called it a license instead of a permit!

What's the difference between a license and a permit?

If I'm not mistaken, the importance of getting the name right has little or nothing to do with the (nonexistent?) difference between a "license" and a "permit". Rather, the issue is that some people commonly refer to the PA LTCF as a "concealed carry permit" even thought it "permits" you do a lot of things other than carry concealed.

She didn't get it right at all, since she called it a "gun license", which is a lot worse than if she had called it, for instance, a "Permit to Carry Firearms".
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Allegheny County)

I've used my LTCF to make withdrawals from PNC before. The teller just clarified exactly what it was for when he entered the number (he had to select from a drop-down list, of which a license to carry was one of the entries). No hassle, no issues.

I've OCed into my local PNC a handful of times with no problems as well, even dressed like a fat SWAT cosplayer (all black and with my steel-toed boots on) though it may have been that all black + black holster/gun didn't make it very visible.

Oh crap I'm rambling again.

(York County)

<snip>
    Sooo...

did you get her number?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Clinton County)

The alarm system they had was probably one of those new high Tech systems. As soon as you went through an alarm went off in a distant call center.

The system took a Body scan of you and knew what you had on you. 5 Workers at the call center started to use facial recognition programs to Identify you.

Then they started a complete background check on you and found you had a LTCF. They used all the legal and illegal data bases to find you were not a threat.

This took 10 sec.

Or it was turned off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast