Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reconsidering the reloading thing

About a year ago I bought my first gun... something just for SD... a S&W 642 - a 38 special snubby. I joined a gun club so I'd get some shooting time with it, and went out and put maybe 400 rounds through it... some of those with my son - who had a great time.

I was thinking seriously, then, about getting into reloading because I was seeing how expensive ammo was getting. So I went ahead and ordered the difficult to get stuff... powder and primers. Got some manuals and read them cover to cover.

Now, the powder and primers have arrived (yeah, it took about 10 months) and I'm thinking about whether I should really get into this or not. Reason is, I thought I was going to be shooting a lot, but I haven't really. The first couple months, yes, but then over the winter nothing. I'm going to be getting out there again now that it's nice, though. But I realize that if my only gun is a 642, I'm not going to be doing tons of shooting... just enough to stay comfortable and accurate with it. Apparently, it's not a "fun" gun to shoot (it's the only handgun I've ever shot, so I don't know).

Would I love to get a "more fun" gun and shoot more... like a Ruger SP-101 357 (which I could also put my 38 loads through) and enjoy it more, with a longer barrel, and heavier gun... more accurate and less recoil? Yes. But that ain't happening... money, convincing the wife, etc...

So, realistically, I'll probably be shooting 100 rounds per month in nice weather (April - Oct) and most likely not at all in the winter.

Time is another thing.... we all have other things we have to or want to do. I really have no idea how much time it will take. I'm certain I'd enjoy it if I got into it. One of the main reasons I really started thinking about it was to be able to make some lighter loads so my son could enjoy shooting. I bought some Cowboy loads for him to use, and he loved it. But they are expensive.

Talk to me, guys. Should I just sell off the powder, primers, and oh yeah, a few hundred bullets I ordered? Or go ahead and get a simple press setup and try it for a while?

Thanks for any input.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Reconsidering the reloading thing

I haven't reloaded since I was a kid but it sounds like you don't think it makes sense for you. For the price of the reloading gear you can probably get a handgun that's more fun to shoot. There's good stuff out there that can be had for a couple hundred dollars. You already have a SD gun, so maybe your dream gun won't be your next gun while money is tight. Post your situation in the Handgun forum and ask for recommendations.

If you only own one gun, don't plan on buying more in the near future and money is tight I wouldn't bother either.

Of course the other argument would be that you may get bit by the bug sooner than you plan, so you may want to hold onto the gear. At least you'll have some experience under your belt and won't be starting from scratch again.

As far as recoil, did you try 125 or 130 grain? Much easier to handle IMO.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

I just have an alternative for you to consider. Sometimes you can find insane deals on used equipment here on the forum. Since you're not in a hurry, just set aside a bit of cash and keep.checking for the right deal. I saw a full Lee press kit go for $60 this winter.
    Just something to think about.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I go with Ham - just hang on a while, and don't be in ahurry to close athat door.

How old is your son? You didn't say. If he finds that fun, if a simple 22 rifle and an inexpensive 22 revolver might not destroy the budget, you two could have a lot of time together, and both learn . Weather is improving. It might keep you out of the pool-halls and bowling alleys.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Susquehanna County)

Your choice brother. You're the only one that can make the decision. In my case if I didn't reload I wouldn't be able to afford to shoot.

200 rounds of .38 Spec and .45 ACP per week is my typical use just for practice sessions. Matches raise the round count. Add to that 100 or so .22 LR.

It all depends on how much you want to shoot. If you're just an occasional shooter reloading might not be worth it. Consider buying a .22 LR pistol and rifle since the skills learned are transferable.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Vote #1 because you already have the supplies to make enough rounds that I think this would be worthwhile.

Lee Classic Loader

Vote #2 a cheap (emphasis on cheap) 22 long rifle pistol. Something used, something to play with, see if you like it, and then sell it and move on to something nicer when finances allow. Revolver, semi, whatever- just cheap.

Good luck.

I your son liked the shooting, I would recommend the reloading. I know my son likes to work my Lee press. As I add the components, he cycles the press. It is great together time.

If you already that the components, go find a Lee press. They are inexpensive and worth the money. The money that you save on ammunition, can go to the piggy bank for your next firearm purchase.

Funny how things work out. (btw - my son is 15).

Last night I was over at a good friend's house, and found out that he reloads. I didn't know. So, he said he'd show me his set up some time, and we can do some 38 cartridges. All I need is to get the dies for 38. So, I'll try that, and see what it's like. I'll see if I can create some "plinking" type rounds that would just be fun to shoot from a snubby. Should be possible with the Trail Boss powder I got.

I'll also keep my eyes out for a deal on a 22 pistol. That sounds like a good idea, for many reasons.

Keeping in mind any equipment I buy, or even firearm, for that matter, can be resold if things change.

I appreciate the advice here, guys.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

To give you an idea about time. On my cheap Lee Turret press I can load about 300 rds/hr without killing myself. Get a kit used and it won't even cost that much.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast