Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default How do you guys afford it?!

After allot of research I've decided I want to start carrying Cor-Bon DPX. It's stated here that you should run 500-1000 rounds through your gun before trusting it enough to carry, but that would cost me $750 to run 500 rounds through my gun. That's $200 short of my sig 220 elite I've been dreaming of. How do you guys do it?!

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: How do you guys afford it?!

I just use it at the range for awhile first.. That's it. Like you said, it's way too expensive for a long term "trial". And also, a gun with 800 rounds through it can still have problems when the need to use it arrives. Just because you cycled 800 through, doesn't mean 801 will fire with 100% reliability.
    It's all personal comfort, but for me, I only run a small trial through to see how it cycles.
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
    III%

(Berks County)

Most of us run about 300 - 400 rounds of FMJ through our handguns before we even begin to think about putting the good stuff through it. You want to make sure that it is working flawlessly to begin with. Don't decide on one specific carry round before you fire at least 100 rounds, preferably more, of it through your specific handgun. Just because one handgun likes a specific round doesn't mean that one made on the same line 10 seconds later will. You have to test different brands to see what your handgun, and to some extent wallet, likes the most.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

I put 500 rounds of Winchester white box FMJ through my XD Subcompact before I used it for carry purposes. Then I tested only a few of my selected defensive rounds (Speer Gold Dots) before trusting them.

A firearm is a machine, and any machine can fail, no matter how extensive your testing may be.

Just shoot it until you feel comfortable with it.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I don't know too many people who run 200-500 rounds of carry ammo through their guns. maybe over a few years, but not all at once. it's too expensive.

I run a shit ton of FMJ and shoot a few mags of whatever ammo I want to carry. If they run without a hiccup then I don't shoot any more until the rounds in my mag get a little beat up and I want to freshen them up.

That's me personally. i don't see the need to spend that kind of money when my gun eats everything and keeps on running, but if you have a finicky gun you might want to be more cautious.

(Allegheny County)

Im currently using an XD 9mm sub compact so I'm not too worried about it being picky about ammo.

(Chester County)

As already mentioned, run a couple hundred rounds of cheaper stuff through it, maybe mix up the brands to see if there's a particular brand you really like or really hate, and start using that for your range time.

When I started getting "the good stuff", I ran a box through my G30 to see where they hit and how it felt, but now I only run a nine round mag through it after I've sent a box or two of FMJ down range.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabnock View Post
    After allot of research I've decided I want to start carrying Cor-Bon DPX. It's stated here that you should run 500-1000 rounds through your gun before trusting it enough to carry, but that would cost me $750 to run 500 rounds through my gun. That's $200 short of my sig 220 elite I've been dreaming of. How do you guys do it?!
    For a gun known for reliability, I don't think you need 1000 rds of premium HPs to be happy.

First, just run 500 rds of FMJ through the new gun so it loosens up a bit.

Then, try cheaper HPs, such as CCI Blazer. You can run a lot of them through your pistol for not too much money.

Then, no more than a hundred HPs of your chosen round/loading (test all mags in the process, too).

(Montgomery County)

Well, that is where a revolver has its advantage. Cleaned, lubricated and checked for timing and concentricity of the barrel and chambers (a very easy job with a suitable brass rod), try 12 rounds through it and if they go where you point...job done!! If not Kentucky windage if fixed sights, adjust sights if not with another 12. Still leaves 26 from the box. Dave_n

(Philadelphia County)

I ran two boxes through mine (9mm). One starting from clean, then I fired a box of FMJ to warm and dirty it up a bit. Then I fired the second box, except this time I fired half of it one-handed and half weak-handed. Zero problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast