Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scary?

(Berks County)

Default Scary?

I have a friend that has a LTCF that has recently bought his first pistol. He could not load his pistol without my assistance!! Is this frightining or am I overreacting? I showed him the proper way to load and fire(without pointing in my face!!!) with satisfactory results. I hope others will do the same, but I was scared dealing with the Hollywood cowboy with his new found right. Anyone else deal with this. I am happy to add a freind to the cause but the knowledge part scares me.

Default Re: Scary?

Thats why I recommend revolvers for such... super novices. You get to learn the basics of handguns on an easier platform. Easy to load / unload, much less chance of any issues that they might not know how to deal with, easier to tell if loaded.

Hopefully he'll be careful.

(York County)

I have had a friend like that also. It's important to teach them the correct handling and operation of firearms. I've let my friend shoot some of my guns and when he bought his I went with him to show him some good models and brands based on what he was looking for. After that I then took him to the range but showed him how to disassemble/reassemble it and clean it before he shot it. That's another good thing to show someone new to guns, because if I hadn't done that I'm pretty sure he would have never thought he had to do so... ever...

To me it's not that scary. Like you said, you have to assume they know nothing but Hollywood when it comes to firearms when they are new to it. It's good your friend got his LTCF and wants to carry, and it's great for him to have you to educate him with all you know about proper gun handling/maintenance/ownership.

(Berks County)

I agree but this is what was brought to the table. This Guy told me he went out with a "Marine" and he could'nt figure it out either!!! Very scary!! This handgun was a Kahr, Just like a Glock. I just thought common sense would kick in, but I guess it is not that common. I have shot guns I have never shot before and I always ask basic instructions before doing so. Call me a novice if you will but I like understanding a firearm before pulling the trigger. Point of post was why do some feel so over confident, that they will be dangerous to others.
    Last edited by 308man; April 2nd, 2010 at 01:42 AM.

(York County)

Direct him to some basic classes in the area.

If he is eager to learn, then it is not scary, if he thinks he knows everything or does not need to learn any more, that is scary IMO.

I grew up shooting (some rifle, some pistol, lots of skeet/bird hunting), but had not been shooting much in the last 15 years until last year. I took a fairly extensive course 4 day handgun course out at Front Sight and learned a ton. Friends who had been in that same course once or twice before still enjoyed it and learned from it.

One of the favorite lines at that course is that people don't know, what they don't know. That is so true! I have learned a lot over the last year and now shoot 1-2 times a week but still can not beleive how much more I need to learn and want to take many more courses. When I hear someone say they know how to use a pistol and defend themselves, I am often suspecious. Just because someone can load a mag and pull a trigger does not make them proficent, let alone having any clue about tactics in a life threatening situation.

Simply being issued a LTCF and buying a pistol does not make anyone knowlegable or skilled. Without a desire to learn, practice and improve the required skills to be truly comforatble and profiecent, some people are likely more of a danger to themselves and others around them.

Some may flame me for this, but I would not be opposed to having some other requirement on being issued a LTCF such as having to take an NRA-type basic pistol class which would also cover the legal, moral and ethical issued related to the use of deadly force, PA carry laws, reciprocity, etc.

Maybe make it to that the course must be completed within 6 months of issue or it is revoked until the class is completed? It could even be done online, at least in part.

IMO, this could be done in a way that would not infringe on anyones rights, but would help ensure that people who are issued LTCF at least have the basic knowlege of their firearm and the issues regarding using it.

Anyway, try to direct your buddies new found enthusiasim towards a path of ongoing training and practice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncitis View Post
    Direct him to some basic classes in the area.

If he is eager to learn, then it is not scary, if he thinks he knows everything or does not need to learn any more, that is scary IMO.

I grew up shooting (some rifle, some pistol, lots of skeet/bird hunting), but had not been shooting much in the last 15 years until last year. I took a fairly extensive course 4 day handgun course out at Front Sight and learned a ton. Friends who had been in that same course once or twice before still enjoyed it and learned from it.

One of the favorite lines at that course is that people don't know, what they don't know. That is so true! I have learned a lot over the last year and now shoot 1-2 times a week but still can not beleive how much more I need to learn and want to take many more courses. When I hear someone say they know how to use a pistol and defend themselves, I am often suspecious. Just because someone can load a mag and pull a trigger does not make them proficent, let alone having any clue about tactics in a life threatening situation.

Simply being issued a LTCF and buying a pistol does not make anyone knowlegable or skilled. Without a desire to learn, practice and improve the required skills to be truly comforatble and profiecent, some people are likely more of a danger to themselves and others around them.

Some may flame me for this, but I would not be opposed to having some other requirement on being issued a LTCF such as having to take an NRA-type basic pistol class which would also cover the legal, moral and ethical issued related to the use of deadly force, PA carry laws, reciprocity, etc.

Maybe make it to that the course must be completed within 6 months of issue or it is revoked until the class is completed? It could even be done online, at least in part.

IMO, this could be done in a way that would not infringe on anyones rights, but would help ensure that people who are issued LTCF at least have the basic knowlege of their firearm and the issues regarding using it.

Anyway, try to direct your buddies new found enthusiasim towards a path of ongoing training and practice.
    I would agree with LTCF requirements that mandated basic safety training.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 308man View Post
    Point of post was why do some feel so over confident that they will be dangerous to others.
    Because they are unaware that the actions they take are dangerous. And that is indeed scary.

The friend I "trained" recently at least had enough common sense to not sweep anyone with the muzzle and always made sure his booger hook was off the trigger until he was ready to shoot.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 308man View Post
    Point of post was why do some feel so over confident that they will be dangerous to others.
    Usually becuase one of two things:
    1. They don't know what they don't know (new and never had any training or ingorance to their lack or knowledge and training)
    2. They let their ego take control over common sense and feel it would not be "manly" to not know something like that or have to ask a "dumb" question.

In my short time training over this last year, I have met and been shooting with some of the top practicioners to be found anywhere and all are very humble with no big egos that I have seen what so ever.

They have told me that during the National Tactical Invitational which is held at my local club each year that many of the big name trainers, magazine writers, etc. soon learn that if they show up with a big ego, it will get put in check real quick and they will either adapt and realize they are there to learn from others, or they will go home mad and may never return.
    Last edited by Broncitis; April 2nd, 2010 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncitis View Post
    This is true. I also grew up around guns, so gun safety was something I was very familiar with. I was very comfortable around rifles and easily earned the small arms expert ribbon with the M16 in BMT. Handguns were a different story. Being on a combat aircrew I had to qualify with and carry the M9. Before training, the only handgun I ever fired was a .22 revolver so I was definitely a novice. Luckily I caught on quickly and qualified for the SAE ribbon again.

My point.. I think I take my training for granted, and sometimes assume others I know have the same level of training, when in fact most do not. Two guys I shoot with often do.. both former military, one was Air Force security forces, one is currently a US Marshal. The rest are guys I met it high school and a few I recently met in college.. but have no actual training (which does show from time to time).

(Chester County)

There are elderly people driving the streets that can't see 10 feet in front of them. There are judges on the bench who don't know the law. There's a health care reform bill chock full of laws that will drive small companies out of business.

Those thing scare me.

A man learning to shoot his new gun under the guidance of experienced friend does not scare me in the least.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast