Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default My response to an article in the local paper about the ebensburg gun ban

Just sent this off...

To Whomever It Concerns:

I read the article in todays paper about the gun ban I lobbied to have repealed. I found some of the statements by officials to be a little disturbing. I would like to offer you the following article that I wrote for publication as a response and as service to those who may question my motivations.

Sincerely,

Timothy L. Havener

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why I Carry

By Timothy L Havener

I picked up today's Mainline Express and saw the article about my successful efforts to repeal the illegal gun ban in Ebensburg. I realize that there are some who wonder why I would want such a law repealed and why I feel it appropriate to carry in a playground or a park. I applaud the Borough manager for obeying the law and the solicitor for his agreement of my assessment. However, I find the statements made by borough officials in the article today reveal a deeper underlying problem with the expression of our 2nd amendment rights. While acknowledging the legality of my claim Mr. Penatzer shows contempt for the motivations that compelled me to take action. To quote him from the article:

"Hopefully, we can rely on people's common sense."

This infers to me that he does not think it appropriate to carry a firearm to these locations despite it being a right protected by law. I realize that some may share this opinion and I would like to attempt to change your mind or at the very least enlighten you as to my perspective on the issue.

The question most asked of me is why do I carry. The answer I give first and foremost is that it is my right. No further explanation is required by law, but for those that desire it I will provide you with a philosophical explanation. This country was founded on the idea of individual liberty and a society based on rule of law not the whims of the momentary sentiment in society. They understood that certain rights were necessary to the function and continued success of a free nation. That is why we have the bill of rights. These rights are there because the Founding Fathers knew them to be essential to our republic. Second of these is the right to bear arms. It was so important that they put it right after free speech. I share their belief in its importance and in the free expression of all civil liberties.

Now, I understand that in today's society there is a stigma among some citizens concerning the carry of firearms. We have all seen the horrific news stories about shootings. In response to such tragedy some take on the belief that limiting the rights of law abiding gun owners will have some effect. They feel that removing guns from the situation will make them safer. I hold this belief to be irrational and dangerous. Criminals that are going to commit a crime care nothing for the law. A law preventing someone from carrying on a playground is not going to keep you safe from a mad man who is determined in his cause. All such laws do is prevent those of us who abide by the law from having the tools necessary to protect us from such an event.

For me a gun is not an object of destruction or evil; it is a symbol of individual liberty and self reliance. For me to carry in a park or a playground with my children is as natural to me as carrying it to the range or out into the woods. I would like for all of you to consider the following quote by a man we all know well:

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew.

In conclusion, I would like to address those of who agree with me. I challenge you to read the statements of your public officials. Know where they stand. Laws like this come about because those of us who value our civil rights stand by and do not demand better from our elected officials. Pay attention, get involved, and never be ashamed to stand up for your rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Berks County)

Default Re: My response to an article in the local paper about the ebensburg gun ban

Have a link to the original article?

(Clinton County)

Default Re: My response to an article in the local paper about the ebensburg gun ban

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Have a link to the original article?
    I'll have to type it out...give me a few.

(Allegheny County)

Did you send that already? Couple grammar mistakes.

Good letter! Hopefully you will get some people to THINK rather than just regurgitate anti-sentiment.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Clinton County)

Here is the original article and the response I just received from the publisher of the paper:

Hello, Tim,

We received your letter to the editor.

I wanted to send you an email and thank you for writing and to congratulate
    you in bringing this to the attention of the public.

As publisher of your hometown newspaper, I am a huge supporter of the Second
    Amendment and also carry a firearm, one of the reasons why the story was
    assigned to a reporter so that it could be brought to light to all members
    of the community.

Your letter was extremely well written and to the point.

Keep up the good work.

Wm. Anderson
    Publisher
    Mainline Newspapers

(Allegheny County)

Wow nice reply! Amazing a media employee is pro-2A?!
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Berks County)

Awesome work Tim. I wish I could rep you again!

(Cambria County)

Nice job, very professional sounding. I don't think Penatzer meant you personally with the common sense quote. I think he just means that he hopes there is never a problem from anyone. However a law doesn't always stop people with no common sense.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonefight View Post
    Nice job, very professional sounding. I don't think Penatzer meant you personally with the common sense quote. I think he just means that he hopes there is never a problem from anyone. However a law doesn't always stop people with no common sense.
    No that's what he meant. Read the full quote in the original article. And in our first conversation on the phone he sarcastically asked me if I thought it was appropriate to have a gun in a playground. It took me going to the mayor and Representative Burns before this went anywhere. The mayor deserves a lot of credit; I would get no movement and I would write him and I would get a reply from the borough manager the next day or so. He changed his tone later and didn't provide further commentary but I know exactly where he stands on the issue and it isn't in support for what I did.
    Last edited by t1m0thy; April 1st, 2010 at 08:27 PM.

(Cambria County)

I don't know, just grabbed it off the kitchen table and read it again, I took it at first as an in general comment and after reading it again it still sound in general to me. And sticking up for Penatzer wouldn't be at the top of my priority list. I was a little more disturbed by the " I have concerns but there's not much we can do about it " comment. The important thing is its overturned who cares what they think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast