Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default "Drinky's" in Easton... secretly wanding AFTER entering

This past weekend I went to a bar in Easton called Drinky's. I was never there before so I had no idea what to expect. It sucked. lol. Actually it's a pretty decent place, just completely NOT my scene. It's kind of one of those 'high end' bars with loud ass dance club music and a bunch of sluts and d-bag guys with popped collars. haha. anyway...

I was the one with the keys and a glass of water for the night so naturally the M&P40C came along. I carry IWB so I had absolutely no concern with anyone giving me crap for seeing my weapon. However, I fully explained to everyone riding in the car with me that if they were wanding or patting people down at the door, we would simply go elsewhere. No one had a problem with this as some of my friends carry all of them understand completely. We ended up walking right in with no pat downs, wands, cover charge, etc. There were no bouncers to be seen. As we entered, I made sure to check every flat surface in sight for "no weapons" signs. Not a thing.

About 20 minutes after we got there, I noticed a burly looking bald dude with once of those cliche "STAFF" t-shirts walking around slowly like a cop on patrol. The way he was walking around with his arms flat at his sides was very odd to me so I looked down and saw him sneakily waving a Garrett metal detector between each person sitting at the bar and next to each person who walked by. he would sweep around each guy's waistband and over every girl's purse. Each sweep of a passing person was done very quickly, but so nonchalantly that no 'sheep' would ever know what he was doing. These were mostly people with their backs turned to him and/or sitting down, completely oblivious. He passed me twice and tried, but I turned my left side to him just in time. After the second time, I accidentally made eye contact with him just as he went to talk to one of his buddies (who was doing the same thing with a wand). They both looked at me and nodded to each other and split up. They walked to opposite sides of the room before heading back towards me. It was laughably obvious that they were trying to 'flank' me and I was having no part of it. I made a B line straight for the door and was out of there. At that point I figured they were probably high five-ing each other and posting on Facebook about how awesome they were for ousting an evil gun carrier, but I could not have cared less. I waited outside for my friends.

So after the long winded post...

What do you guys think about this situation? Legal? Illegal? It seems to me that with no check at the door and no signs, this should be completely illegal. Honestly though I couldn't care less at the moment about the legality, I'm just extremely pissed at the obvious invasion of privacy. To me this seems as ridiculous as someone walking around with a 'fart sniffing wand' and confronting and subsequently kicking out the stinky bastards as they let one rip.
    Last edited by DC2.2GSR; March 31st, 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Default Re: "Drinky's" in Easton... secretly wanding AFTER entering

Pretty assinine, if they don't want weapons there, post a FUCKING sign!!!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Pretty assinine, if they don't want weapons there, post a FUCKING sign!!!!!
    agreed. if i got wanded like that, i'd be pretty irritated. if they're so concerend about weapons, why not do it at the door? the whole thing is retarded. and your situational awareness was on, good for you. to be honest, i probably wouldn't have noticed them.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    What do you guys think about this situation? Legal? Illegal? It seems to me that with no check at the door and no signs, this should be completely illegal.
    Legal.

Private property can set any conditions of entry they wish and eject you for any reasons they wish other than discriminating against legally protected classes of cpeople.

Stupid way to do it, yep, asinine and 1/2. Vote with your dollars, sounds like a shit hole anyway

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Berks County)

I'm sure it's not my kind of place...

However, your story does makes me want to go there with a concealed carried Swingline desk stapler IWB and see what happens.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Legal.

Private property can set any conditions of entry they wish and eject you for any reasons they wish other than discriminating against legally protected classes of cpeople.

Stupid way to do it, yep, asinine and 1/2. Vote with your dollars, sounds like a shit hole anyway
    Yes but can they use a device to scan the contents of your pants without your consent? Definitely not at optical wavelengths (eg upskirt pics). Don't know about radio waves.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Yes but can they use a device to scan the contents of your pants without your consent? ...
    Nah Ill pass, that line is just too easy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    I'm sure it's not my kind of place...

However, your story does makes me want to go there with a concealed carried Swingline desk stapler IWB and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    Nah Ill pass, that line is just too easy.
    hahahaha (10 char)

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    agreed. if i got wanded like that, i'd be pretty irritated. if they're so concerend about weapons, why not do it at the door? the whole thing is retarded. and your situational awareness was on, good for you. to be honest, i probably wouldn't have noticed them.
    thanks. yeah i usually pay attention to little details about people and the environment i'm in... things that other people around me have to actually think about and search for if i mention something haha. it gets annoying sometimes. i always thought it was just some compulsion i had until i came here and heard the term 'situational awareness' referring to exactly what i do lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Legal.

that sucks.

as i said, it seems to me that there's something very wrong with what they were doing. i guess it's just from a moral standpoint and not a legal one, but still... it's just not right.

a checkpoint at the door would give you the chance to make a conscious decision on whether to allow a search and to enter or just walk away without being searched. one would think that being allowed to enter without a search and then being secretly searched once inside would be some kind of serious violation of privacy in the form of a search without any kind of consent. what's to stop a particularly paranoid club owner from installing an xray machine behind a wall and hiring a guy to sit there watching all the people as they walked up to the bar? surely that would be illegal in some way, so why not the wand?

obviously IANAL. i do see your point and certainly trust what you say, but i'm just having a hard time comprehending the reasons why this is not illegal. (*edit*) even if it's private property. the owner of a property can obviously demand that you leave for any reason, but can he/she also just go around secretly searching people just because they're on his/her property?
    Last edited by DC2.2GSR; March 31st, 2010 at 11:46 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    a checkpoint at the door would give you the chance to make a conscious decision on whether to allow a search and to enter or just walk away without being searched. one would think that being allowed to enter without a search and then being secretly searched once inside would be some kind of serious violation of privacy in the form of a search without any kind of consent. what's to stop a particularly paranoid club owner from installing an xray machine behind a wall and hiring a guy to sit there watching all the people as they walked up to the bar? surely that would be illegal in some way, so why not the wand?

obviously IANAL. i do see your point and certainly trust what you say, but i'm just having a hard time comprehending the reasons why this is not illegal.
    X-rays are illegal because of the radiation. Taking covert pictures is illegal under some circumstances. A wand could also be construed as an invasion of privacy, though to a lesser extent than a picture. Infra-red would be probably be somewhere inbetween. Eventually those airport scanners will be cheaper and quicker...

A real dick move on the part of the bar, either way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast