Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: "Drinky's" in Easton... secretly wanding AFTER entering

Did I miss the part about what they would do if they found something? Or was it only assumed?

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

What you want to do, is find some friends with metal hip joints, have them dress in aggressive "militia" type clothing, and go in for drinks. When they get hassled (because the wand will go nuts around their hips), they can sue under the Americans with Disabilities Act, for discriminatory treatment due to a medical condition. (This probably won't work, but it would be fun to jerk the bouncers around anyway.)

Alternatively, get some techie guys to rig up an electrical field generator that you can wear on your belt, something that will register like you've got an aircraft carrier anchor hidden in your pants. Maybe you can short out one of those wands.

On the other hand, it could just be paranoia. I had one guy tell me that the local supermarket had installed metal detectors in the doorways, he was absolutely sure of it. Until I asked him about the shopping carts.

Maybe these guys aren't waving wands at people. Maybe they're just really bad dancers.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    A wand could also be construed as an invasion of privacy, though to a lesser extent than a picture. .
    Citation of law/case law?

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    I'm sure it's not my kind of place...

However, your story does makes me want to go there with a concealed carried Swingline desk stapler IWB and see what happens.
    Ya got a permit for that concealed stapler??? Oooops sorry, I mean a license!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Did I miss the part about what they would do if they found something? Or was it only assumed?

Flash
    i suppose it could be assumed, but that's a good point to make. i didn't see them remove anyone or even talk to anyone, but it's obvious they were searching for weapons. it's assumed that there would be some sort of verbal confrontation and they would probably want to know what's in my pants (metal, that is). at that point i'd politely, and not in so many words, tell them to go fuck themselves and then make a hasty exit. i guess in hindsight i could have lied and said it was something medical and private, but they'd probably just make up some kind of reason for me to leave anyway. they looked like a-holes. lol.

once it was obvious.. and it was a 'you had to be there' kind of obvious.. that they were coming for me, i elected to just leave before they could get to me so i would avoid any kind of contact with them altogether. the last thing i wanted to do is allow myself to be cornered by two or more bouncers and be questioned in the middle of a crowded and incredibly loud bar. i could be responding to their questions calmly and politely but yelling so i could be heard and they could take it the wrong way and flip shit. it was a much better decision in this case to just leave and not test the situation.

i appreciate all the comments guys. i've only been carrying for 2 months now and this is the first 'kinda encounter' i've had. it really helps to hear some different opinions and perspectives.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Citation of law/case law?
    I don't know any specifics, but it was my understanding that one of the justifications for metal detectors in airports etc being constitutional is that they are clearly marked and people may choose to avoid them. I don't know if this relates merely to Fourth Amendment concerns or also to privacy concerns (which is the issue here).

(Northampton County)

The activities at the bar don't make any sense to me. If they are wanding people intentionally with deliberate procedure, there will be a hell of a lot of false positives if the sensitivity is set to something that would even remotely pick up a gun. If they are trying to do it surreptitiously, just walking by and waving it by you, I would guess they'd have to shake people down left and right.

Is there actually an instrument that can discriminate a gun from keys with such casual implementation? I'm sure training helps a lot, but somebody had to have a hit. Did they check anybody?

(Pike County)

Unless the detector was off these guys would be getting hits on almost everyone that they wanded, jewelery, watches, keys, belt buckles, money clips, change, zippers, metal make up containers, snaps and rings on pocket books, the list is endless. Even with the sensitivity as low as possible you will get hits on these items, that why you have to remove them at airports, courts and such.
    Could be they are trying to make armed persons nervous.
    If you want to check people, do it at the door.

(Lackawanna County)

It is amazing what 6-and-a-half pounds of medical appliance can do to one of those wands. I hadn't thought about potential ADA violations....time to hit the lawsuit lottery?
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Northampton County)

At that point I figured they were probably high five-ing each other and posting on Facebook about how awesome they were for ousting an evil gun carrier, but I could not have cared less. I waited outside for my friends.
    Ironic, isn't it? You're on here posting about how you outsmarted evil wanders. Besides, they probably Tweeted that they ousted you.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast