Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Exclamation Red Jacket converted Saiga's on sale...

So I've been thinking of picking up a Saiga so I can compete in a three-gun comp one of these days, and this seems like a good deal, especially with all the perks they throw into the package.

Here's the link, when I checked last they had 93 units left, if anyone has any experience with Red Jacket Saiga's let me know if they are worthwhile. It's about time for me to make my once-a-month gun purchase, so this may be my April...haha.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/r...ip-p-1165.html

I realize that Classic Arms sells unconverted ones for pretty cheap, and that with doing my own conversion I can probably get it to about the same base price, but since they throw in a few extras this is looking like a better deal to me..

Thoughts?

(Blair County)

Default Re: Red Jacket converted Saiga's on sale...

Red Jacket is a legit manufacturer and is well known on the Saiga-12 Forums.

You're right about the price you could probably do it all yourself with the exception of

"Conversion includes Red Jacket Firearms Combat Reliability Package ($75 Upgrade- Properly Align & Set Gas System, contour & polish bottom of carrier"

The gas system is easy enough to do, but you need some patience and a pretty big hammer then the drill bits, yadda yadda yadda. I worked mine over just because I've done all the work on my one gun myself.

Personally I wouldn't change much on that one right out of the box with the other options. I think you should shoot it and see which way you want to go.

Vertical foregrips make mag changes tricky especially if they are longer. The Tapco AK buttstock is sturdy enough but its going to be a little short on the length of pull since its Warsaw pact length not NATO so that is another thing to look at. I don't have personal experience with the other options listed but the MAA skeleton stock has gotten good reviews.

Unless you're a perfectionist don't worry about the rear rivet holes being welded over, I popped nylon hole plugs in mine and nobody is the wiser....

/off soapbox
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Lycoming County)

Good price for a converted Saiga.

Personally, i'm gonna convert my own and save.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Luzerne County)

Sounds like a good deal to me... it's nice they do a reliability upgrade... mine sure needs one. It is hands down the most unreliable gun in my collection. I can count on a failure to eject about once ever two or three shells.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Sounds like a good deal to me... it's nice they do a reliability upgrade... mine sure needs one. It is hands down the most unreliable gun in my collection. I can count on a failure to eject about once ever two or three shells.
    You and Scoutjoe need to have a sit down chat. He knows his way around a Saiga 12. Probably get you headed on the right path if yours is that cranky.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    You and Scoutjoe need to have a sit down chat. He knows his way around a Saiga 12. Probably get you headed on the right path if yours is that cranky.
    He PM'd me.... hopefully he'll be able to steer me in the right direction. Thanks.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    C'mon somebody talking Saiga-12 on my day off? you think I'd let him hanging ?

The more people I convert to the dark side the better

Ya bunch of bottom feedin heathens
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."