Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default 12 GA Shorty ~ Input Wanted

I am in the market and thought I would post a thread for opinion/insight.

Primary Use: Home Defense
    Secondary Use: Range Fun

Emphasis on (in no specific order):

Reliability
    Accurracy
    Size
    Weight
    Quality/Engineering

For reliability a pump action seems to be the way to go, however a semi-auto really appeals to my handgun roots. (would also like the option of adding a rifled barrell as well as a pistol style grip for kicks/novelty)

I am not brand picky and cost is a consideration however I am willing to pay more for something I am happy with and not feel like I skimped on. Like everyone I am looking for a deal but am not shy away from spending money on higher end equipment. I do not hunt.

Looking forward to your personal picks & thoughts on this.

Default Re: 12 GA Shorty ~ Input Wanted

I'd suggest either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Both are not very expensive, and you can get both a short barrel for home defense, and a longer (26-28") barrel for shooting targets. Clay shooting is addicting. The pump actions are also very simple, reliable, and easy to learn.

And if you're getting a gas-operated semi, some of the them (Beretta 391's) don't work with the shorter barrels. However, I LOVE my 391 for clay target shooting.

Either way, get something you can afford along with a LOT of ammo, and find some time to shoot it.

As for your specific points (870 vs 500):

Reliability - Never seen either fail. Even after being used as boat paddle/anchor.
    Accurracy - Even. They won't have the best pattern, but until you're Tom Knapp, I doubt you'll notice. But, the 500 has a 2-bead sighting system which I liked. But a single bead is what I have on my current competition gun.
    Size - Can be changed with different length barrels.
    Weight - The 870 is noticeably heavier.
    Quality/Engineering - I'd say even. The 500 feels cheaper, but it's lighter. I also like the position of the safety and slide release (not sure what to call it) over the 870.

(York County)

i would suggest an ithaca 37, but i'm fond of the classics. much better design. only trouble is that barrels are less than interchangeable when you are talking pre 1960 guns.

if you are looking for shiny-new, definitely the mossberg 500. for a slice cheaper but the same design and quality, try the mossberg maverick. either one can be pistol gripped for $15, and you can swap barrels for about $75.

Quote Originally Posted by jokusfocus View Post
    I'd suggest either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Both are not very expensive, and you can get both a short barrel for home defense, and a longer (26-28") barrel for shooting targets. Clay shooting is addicting. The pump actions are also very simple, reliable, and easy to learn.

And if you're getting a gas-operated semi, some of the them (Beretta 391's) don't work with the shorter barrels. However, I LOVE my 391 for clay target shooting.

Either way, get something you can afford along with a LOT of ammo, and find some time to shoot it.

As for your specific points (870 vs 500):

Reliability - Never seen either fail. Even after being used as boat paddle/anchor.
    Accurracy - Even. They won't have the best pattern, but until you're Tom Knapp, I doubt you'll notice. But, the 500 has a 2-bead sighting system which I liked. But a single bead is what I have on my current competition gun.
    Size - Can be changed with different length barrels.
    Weight - The 870 is noticeably heavier.
    Quality/Engineering - I'd say even. The 500 feels cheaper, but it's lighter. I also like the position of the safety and slide release (not sure what to call it) over the 870.
    either of these are great guns, i have a Mossy 500 and its never given me any problems
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    either of these are great guns, i have a Mossy 500 and its never given me any problems
    I tried to be as objective as I could, but still push the 500. Love mine.

(Allegheny County)

870 if you go with a pump gun.

Go to the fun store and try them both though. Although if you put a pistol grip on it you will like the 870 safety better. With a standard stock the Mossy's tang safety is actually a little easier to manipulate with your hand still in the firing position.

I preferred the 870 action over the 500 when I chose mine. I have been happy with that choice to this day. They are both well supported weapons, and if you go with a pump gun these are the two I would pick from.

Semi-auto's - you're on your own. I don't have enough experience with them to contribute.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; March 29th, 2010 at 03:43 AM.