Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs down Arnold and more Ca insanity

(10-12) 18:28 PDT SACRAMENTO -- People buying ammunition in California will soon have to be thumbprinted and dealers will have to keep records of sales, under legislation that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law.
    More News FROM SF Chronical

* Obama announces 15 recess appointments, scolds GOP 03.27.10
    * Tribute to SoCal teen recalls her love of animals 03.27.10
    * Israeli soldiers leave Gaza after fierce clash 03.27.10
    * GOP's health care strategy: Repeal and replace 03.27.10

After vetoing similar bills three times since 2004, Schwarzenegger signed AB962 by Assemblyman Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, on Sunday, saying he now believes it will promote public safety.

The measure is California's first statewide regulation of ammunition sales. It survived close votes in both the Assembly and state Senate and strong opposition from gun-rights organizations, which succeeded in stripping a provision that would have required sellers of more than 50 rounds of ammunition a month to be licensed by the state.

Starting in July, the law will require dealers to keep records of handgun ammunition sales for at least five years, and store the bullets securely out of customers' reach.

Like gun transactions, all ammunition sales will have to be face-to-face, a requirement that will force online buyers to arrange delivery of ammunition to a seller in California. Another provision makes it a crime to knowingly sell or give ammunition to someone who cannot possess it legally, including felons, gang members and the mentally ill.

As of February 2011, all ammunition buyers will have to provide a driver's license or other state identification and a thumbprint.

De León said Monday that the bill gives police "a valuable tool to crack down on armed, dangerous criminals and gang-bangers in our communities."

Opponents said the restrictions would burden gun owners and dealers without impeding criminals.

"Ammunition or ammunition purchaser registration, in any form, serves only to infringe upon the rights of law-abiding citizens," Gun Owners of California said while the bill was before the Legislature.

In signing the bill, Schwarzenegger said local governments that require record-keeping for ammunition sales have enabled police to arrest many illegal purchasers. Governments that regulate ammunition sales include San Francisco, Oakland, Tiburon and Contra Costa and Marin counties.

"Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe," Schwarzenegger said.

E-mail Bob Egelko at begelko@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page C - 4 of the San Francisco Chronicle
    Print E-mail
    deliciousdel.icio.us
    diggDigg
    technoratiTechnorati
    redditReddit
    facebookFacebook
    Yahoo! Buzz
    slashdotSlashdot
    farkFark
    newsvineNewsvine
    googleGoogle Bookmarks
    twitterTwitter
    Share facebooktwitter Comments (228) Buzz up!

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0jS5beJSM
    [SIGPIC]

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Arnold and more Ca insanity

AB 962 was signed into law back in October of 2009, the same time frame the article you posted was from. There are existing threads on the subject:

There has even since been the (unsuccessful so far) presentation of AB 1663, which would repeal AB 962. This a second repealer bill; the first was the unsuccessful AB 373.

http://www.ab962.org/

im happy i dont live in CA

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    im happy i dont live in CA

To think I used to live in SoCal and have been talking about moving back for a few years. Now I am a gun owner I don't want to give up the relative freedoms I enjoy in PA for the tighter grip CA wants to exert, guess I'll just have to get used to the colder winter.