Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Can anyone suggest a good .223 bolt gun?

Looking for a .223 bolt action rifle, shooting some paper and maybe some ground hogs. Something reasonable. Not trying to build or buy a tack driver but want something pretty decent. The main reason is because I have about a gazzilion rounds for my AR and want another gun in the same caliber. Thanks in advance

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Can anyone suggest a good .223 bolt gun?

CZ 527. But if you don't want a tack driver this isn't for you because it IS a tack driver.
    Smooth Mauser type action, single set trigger, superb accuracy, you can't beat it. In my opinion it's the best value you'll find. MSRP is a bit higher than a Remington 700 SPS, closer to a Winchester Model 70 but the set trigger makes it worth it.
    Savage makes a damn good bolt action for the money too. It's less expensive than the CZ, Remington or Winchester and has a good reputation for great out of the box accuracy. The Accutrigger is supposed to be a great feature but I can't say for sure because I've never had one, but everyone I've heard talking about theirs seems to love it.
    If money is a limiting factor and you can find a used CZ in decent condition it would certainly be worth your consideration. I picked one up chambered in .222 a while ago for $450.00 and I absolutely love it. Now I'm hoping to stumble into a deal on a CZ 550 chambered in .243 or 6.5X55.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

remington 700 sps var.

i have it in 308 and have shot it in 223. great gun either way, and PLENTY of options down the road. accurate out of the box fun to shoot and feels great to shoot. the trigger isnt the best, but i feel you get a great rifle for what you pay with a decent trig
    This Space For Rent

(Clearfield County)

One of my Remington 700's is a .223, the BDL model. Have a Leupold 4.5-14 sitting on it. Much more capability in the rifle than the shooter, in my case.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

I understand your desire for a bolt gun as an alternative "ammo-eater" to your AR. If as you state, your expectation of a "tack-driver" is not the driving force, you should be OK. The problem arises because most bolt guns in .223 use 1:12 rifling, which will stabilize light varmint bullets (40 gr - 50 gr) well. Your AR is most likely 1:7, 1:8 or 1:9 for stabilizing heavier bullets. If your ammo cache is mostly 55 gr stuff, your accuracy will probably be acceptable - maybe even very good - just be aware that optimum accuracy will come with lighter bullets.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

I'd get something in a heavy barrel, just for the better accuracy, especially for groundpig whacking

Howa, Savage, Remington Weatherby and CZ all make nice accurate guns
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    I understand your desire for a bolt gun as an alternative "ammo-eater" to your AR. If as you state, your expectation of a "tack-driver" is not the driving force, you should be OK. The problem arises because most bolt guns in .223 use 1:12 rifling, which will stabilize light varmint bullets (40 gr - 50 gr) well. Your AR is most likely 1:7, 1:8 or 1:9 for stabilizing heavier bullets. If your ammo cache is mostly 55 gr stuff, your accuracy will probably be acceptable - maybe even very good - just be aware that optimum accuracy will come with lighter bullets.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Learn to read...OP said he/she may want to use it on ground hogs. Cannot hunt with a semi rifle in PA.

ETA: If you can find one...I highly recommend the Winchester Stealth. That was one super accurate 223 that I owned...not sure why I sold it, but it was one of the best shooting rifles that I have ever owned.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Learn to read...OP said he/she may want to use it on ground hogs. Cannot hunt with a semi rifle in PA.

ETA: If you can find one...I highly recommend the Winchester Stealth. That was one super accurate 223 that I owned...not sure why I sold it, but it was one of the best shooting rifles that I have ever owned.
    The OP said he wants to get a bolt gun to use as a target and groundhog gun.
    Pizza Bob was simply pointing out that if the OP has a pile of ammo loaded with projectiles heavier than 55 grain for his semi he probably won't get optimum out of an off the shelf bolt action rifle with that same ammo.
    I didn't see anything alluding to hunting with a semi.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

I've got a Remington 700 in .223. I like it, and I would recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    The OP said he wants to get a bolt gun to use as a target and groundhog gun.
    Pizza Bob was simply pointing out that if the OP has a pile of ammo loaded with projectiles heavier than 55 grain for his semi he probably won't get optimum out of an off the shelf bolt action rifle with that same ammo.
    I didn't see anything alluding to hunting with a semi.

If the OP is asking about a bolt gun for hunting...why would someone start rambling about an AR15? The OP wasn't asking about barrel twist and bullet weight.

There are plenty of bolt rifle options in 223 that does not use a 1:12 twist barrel.

Marlin, Savage/Stevens affords it's owners an easy way of changing out barrels for under $300 in a variety of twists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast